Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Family » Are identical twins in tune with each other

Are identical twins in tune with each other

Can identical twins feel what the other is feeling? Can they think what the other one is thinking? 

Posted - April 5, 2017

Responses

They can be close and often are but it's not guaranteed and while they are probably similar,and share similar experiences,  I don't think they can read each other's thoughts per-se, well not usually. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at April 5, 2017 4:01 PM MDT
      April 5, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

I have a identical twin brother and we can assess each others thoughts and feelings very easily. We don't give each other any signs, its just something that we are able to do since we were very small. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. Sorry for the late reply but I am at university and have been very busy with assignments.
    This post was edited by Gabriel at September 17, 2017 9:38 AM MDT
      September 17, 2017 9:22 AM MDT

Hi Gabriel, no probs re the delay - I have just started a course myself so I do understand that there are times when assignments and stuff come first. I think... the link between twins is a fascinating one.. twins are often studied in many fields, for instance psychology as they are so similar.  What's not really clear tho is whether it's reading each others thoughts or just that the similarity, the connection is so deep that you can more easily empahise with each other.. You used the word assess... and that's an interesting choice.. we can often assess others thoughts, another word for this is empathy... for instance I am deeply empathic.. I seem to be able to feel how people are feeling, and almost, but not quite, what they are thinking..their thought processes.... I don't know why I can do this.. it just happens... I don't try...but what I am not sure is whether it really just an ability to deeply connect or empathise, to *read* people's external signs like body language, what they say and how they say it etc..  I would think that with a twin you share so very much, and have so much in common - you have a deep and abiding bond, one people rarely have... so really it could be empathy, picking up on clues from someone who you have a very very close bond, or it could be mind reading.. hard to say but very cool either way :)
      September 17, 2017 4:06 PM MDT

Thank you Adaydreambeliever  for your very interesting and in depth reply, you really made me sit up and think because I was not looking at it from your point of view. After reading your reply I decided that I wanted to know more so I googled it and came across some very interesting research based articles. thank you again. :)  
      September 17, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

• I think so.
    They are in tune with each with each other because they are genetically identical

My other half is has an identical twin (who was also gay) Unfortunately he died 10 years ago, He says that it feels like he's missing something in his life. He has gotten over his initial grief, but he said it feels different than the grief he's felt when other family members died... an unfillable loneliness. Like having a limb amputated

April 5, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

I have a identical twin brother and if he died it would feel that a limb had be torn from me, I would feel like my life was over and nothing could fill that void so I can understand how hard it must be for your other half. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. Sorry for the late reply but I am at university and I  have been very busy with assignments.
      September 17, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

• Only thing I really know about identical twins is that they have a genetic predisposition for  chewing Double Mint gum.
      April 5, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

I have a identical twin brother and neither of us chew gum. In fact we were never allowed to have gum as children and we have never tried it now that we are adults. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. Sorry about the late reply but I am at university and have been very busy with assignments.
      September 17, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

My mums one and its like they can read each other's minds.....
      April 5, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

Exactly Nice Jugs. As I was saying above, I have a identical twin brother and we can assess each others thoughts and feelings very easily. We don't give each other any signs or signals, its just something that we are able to do since we were very small. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. Sorry about the late reply but I am at university and have been very busy with assignments. 
      September 17, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

It was so wierd when we were little and my aunt popped in unannounced.......I have five other siblings and often there were times when we couldnt tell them apart........
    they both have very simular taste in clothing, what they eat and the way they eat and drink......

My dad was always bemused when they were together as he wasn't fully sure which one he could get to grips with as he really likes my mum......I'm sure also they they both enjoyed the attention they got in our extended families ,but only in a very nice way....

it's easier now to tell them apart as they are ageing ......in a way they are becoming more individuals although it's still hard to tell if they are in a playful mood...

Did you ever read about the American female blonde identical triplets..... They all looked so alike yet all had different gene pools.    ........
      September 18, 2017 2:48 AM MDT

Yes, I do know a little about the identical triplets who all had different gene pools NJ, we did it in a sexual reproduction class when I was at school, it was very interesting and rather complex to fully understand it. My brother and I are very much like your mum and aunt, we are 100% identical and  sometimes even my mum and dad cannot tell us apart, maybe as we age people will find it easier to tell who is who, but we are just 19 years old so we are still rather young, whilst we were at school we were made to wear stickers with our names on it, we hated having to do this. My brother and I are very close, we never tire of each others company, we still even share the same bed, even though we have our own bedrooms. I would like to share something with you NJ and your thoughts on the matter would be very much appreciated. My brother and I had planned to go out shopping with friends, however, I was unwell so I didn't go. My brother wanted to stay home with me but I told him that he should go. He reluctantly went and I went to bed. I was asleep and experienced a horrible pain in my left leg, the pain was so bed it woke me up. I instantly knew that something was wrong with Elijah so I shouted my mum to tell her. When I told her about what I experienced she told me that she was just on her way out to the hospital because Elijah had fallen and fractured his left leg. I was really shocked and to this day I cannot understand why I experienced the same pain in the same leg that Elijah had fractured. Your thoughts on the matter please. :)       
      September 19, 2017 4:40 PM MDT

I think there are scientific things that will be years before man/women kind fully understand them......quantum physics/mechanics and god knows what else that is yet to be discovered....
    i watched a tv prog about it......

They  spun two coloured segment  dart boards with red and green colours facing each other and fired darts at each one simultaneously ..... if one dart hit green the other would always match it ...

They think  this link/knowledge travels between solar systems instantly  .

I think certain we all have an certain empathy  with each outher that allows us to some wierd means of instant communication.......maybe more so in identical twins......kind of like the feelings of déjà vu ......
    We may never know in our life span......but in years to come who knows what ever wonders will come to light.....

Nature has taken countless billions of years to get us all to this point of evolution........there are still countless wonders yet to be discovered and fully understood...

Another aspect of things is that the scientific world and governments never fully  disclose or share their secrets 
    for commercial or milatary reasons.......so many things are hidden from us......

Another astonishing fact is that only a tiny part of the human brain is used to run our bodies......what we we all be capable of when we are able to use it all........
    maybe some of us are able to communicate between each other like a built in mobile phone link......

the connotations are seemingly endless.....and most likely in your lifetime you will never find out ...:( 
      September 19, 2017 10:51 PM MDT

Thank you NJ for taking the time to read and answer my question so in depth and thoughtful and I have to say that I agree with all that you explained. Thanks again NJ. :)
      September 21, 2017 5:11 PM MDT