Active Now

Spunky
CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Finance » If you witnessed your s/o re-gifting the expensive item you just bought them (and are still making payments on),

If you witnessed your s/o re-gifting the expensive item you just bought them (and are still making payments on),

would you speak up immediately in front of the recipient regardless of the embarrassment, never say a word to anyone, let them re-gift it but confront your s/o when you're alone or demand they get the item back. Would your spending habits change as a result.

Posted - July 15, 2016

Responses

Probably.  I could see something sarcastic coming out of me like, "Wow, this looks very familiar!"  LOL

I personally would not be giving gifts that I needed to make payments on tbh.  I give what I can readily afford.  

July 15, 2016 10:31 AM MDT

Speak right up, you bet your patooty.  By s/o I mean husband  and well, this just isn't the way married people behave.  Even boyfriend/girlfriend couples should respect each other enough to return an expensive gift rather than give it to someone else.  

July 15, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

I would never speak to him again.  Forget the speaking UP part. 

I would also give the remaining payment book to his new "friend".   

You have to be kidding me.   Who is this big a scumbag???

July 15, 2016 12:07 PM MDT

1) I would never buy a gift that expensive

2) My attitude is a gift is a gift. If the person takes the gift and donates it to Goodwill the next day, or regives it, or puts it in the backyard and fills it with shotgun blasts (Warning:Don't try this at home!...;-D...), that's the recipient's business.

Of course, if any of the above did happen, I might inquire why the person didn't see fit to keep and treasure the gift, so that I could improve my gift selection criteria. But a gift is a gift.

July 15, 2016 12:11 PM MDT

Thriftymaid, of course it's not "suppose" to be the way married or unmarried couples behave, but as we all know some are capable of far worse than that. Thank you.
      July 15, 2016 7:16 PM MDT

PeaPod, there are times throughout the years that on special occasions like Christmas or birthdays, when I would purchase a loved one's special gift on credit. But I always did it knowing I had the ability to make those payments. But some people make the mistake of over-extending themselves. If it was me, I'd speak up. Thank you
      July 15, 2016 7:32 PM MDT

OS, if you truly believe a gift is a gift and that it's THEIR business what they choose to do with it, why would you turn around and make it your business to not only ask them why they didn't keep it, but why they didn't treasure it as well?

Don't get me wrong, I realize once you give any gift, you've transferred ownership and it's no longer yours. But at the same time, it's understandable someone might have hurt feelings. But what makes it even more hurtful was the way they did it - right in front of you. Next year? They'll get a KMart cheese package from the half off table because it was past the expiration date.
      July 15, 2016 9:15 PM MDT

sharon, it was just a hypothetical question. Fortunately, I never had someone do that to me.
      July 15, 2016 9:18 PM MDT