Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
my2cents
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How can I learn more about Jesus? Are there any groups willing to come to my house to tell me about Jesus?

How can I learn more about Jesus? Are there any groups willing to come to my house to tell me about Jesus?

#JesusLearning

Posted - July 15, 2016

Responses

Be prepared for a thread with 100 Bible Thumping sites now. 

July 15, 2016 10:19 AM MDT

• Hopefully it breaks the internet like Kim K's butt.

July 15, 2016 10:20 AM MDT

July 15, 2016 10:22 AM MDT

July 15, 2016 12:47 PM MDT

Jehovah's Witnesses are willing to go to your house to tell you more than you want to know about Jesus. Ask one for the time and he'll tell you how a watch is made.

July 15, 2016 12:52 PM MDT

Step, while I totally agree with you, and throw virtually anyone out who even knocks if I do not know them....

I am horrible if I do not know you?  You have about 5 seconds before I slam the door in your face.  I am mean for a reason. I am a woman alone.  I don't give any info to anyone.  One time my mom and I let someone in who lied and said we caused a leak in his wall, it wound up costing us money for something that was not our fault.  The guy was a scam artist.  It was horrible.  Anyway, I learned my lesson after that one.

So, this man comes to my door and I am about to really be rotten and he stuttered.  My whole outlook changed.  This man was alone.  He was so soft spoken and he stuttered so badly I had to listen to make out what he was saying.  As I gave him time, it turned out he was a Jehovah's Witness.  But I did not care. I was so in love with this little man who touched my heart.  Here he was alone, and for no reason except goodness, was opening up his little heart to anyone who wanted to talk or listen.   I just adored him.   I took his little book and said, No, thank you.  But he made me a much nicer bitch. 

July 15, 2016 12:54 PM MDT

You ARE kidding, right?  learn about Jesus???

there are literally THOUSANDS of books on him, his life, teachings, etc. out there......any search engine search will reveal them to you.

I'd start with what Atheists have to say about him, then work your way backwards to organized religion..

also look into the Shroud of Turin, which is most likely really the burial cloth of him........lots of scientific evidence points to it's origins as being in that time period....

and try to get info on him from all religions,,,,,,catholics of course think they know it all....gee did I say that?? LOL...but look into what the Presbyterians, Methodists, etc., have to say.

But I"d strongly advise staying away any info from evangelicals; you want facts on him, not fanaticism!!!

so go to it and have fun.......I personally also like any info on the HISTORICAL Jesus,,,,,and the fact that he MAY have been married to Mary of Magdala, commonly called 'Mary Magdalene" but that was NOT her name; "Magdela' was the city she came from.........she was a wealthy woman and NOT A WHORE as the catholic church has made her out to be.............

there's ongoing research going on all the time on Jesus and his times, followers, etc.,

SO DON'T BLIND YOURSELF TO THE NEW STUFF GOING ON.......and don't get all wrapped up on too much 'organized' religion,,,,,,OK?

so have fun.....

all for now..............( I DO tend to ramble!! lol)))))))))))))))

July 30, 2016 8:41 AM MDT

• I know someone you can call.

Salvation in 30 minutes or less or it's free! 

July 30, 2016 8:42 AM MDT

Yes
    The Watch Tower people
    Are looking for you
    They'll be ringing your door bell.
      July 30, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

Google Him. He is in the computer. 

July 30, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

Why certainly. Jehovah's Witnesses offer free home Bible studies all of the time.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/free-bible-study/

Request a Free Bible Study

August 2, 2016 1:27 PM MDT

Do you really want to know about Jesus? Who he is? have a relationship with him? If you are really serious about truth I would suggest asking God and He will freely give it to you:) Be careful not to listen to people. True Christians will guide you to the Bible,and prayer as your guide.

1. Pray for God to give you wisdom what is the truth and what is false religion. We can talk to God directly. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to follow their program and they will tell you the truth, like Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists, a Priest, the Pope, etc. and many others who have rules rather than faith. Really humble yourself and ask God to guide you. GOD WILL GIVE YOU TRUTH..True Christianity is a relationship with Jesus. He will change you completely if you ask him.

2. Read the Bible cover to cover (its online)

3 Get together for Bible study with others who want the truth. You can join a church or ask people to join a bible study at your house by advertising. You don't want to believe any person without checking with the entire Bible and God in prayer what is true. This is an age of falling away from the truth and there are many churches, cults and philosophies that will lead you to things that will give you temporary pleasure but not salvation, forgiveness, everlasting peace, or God's blessings 

August 2, 2016 4:51 PM MDT

It is not  the real Jesus, the Son of God, deity, that JW will tell you about.

August 2, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

How can I learn more about Jesus?

Look into the Bible. That's where all info about Jesus starts from.

Are there any groups willing to come to my house to tell me about Jesus?

Sure, groups like the JWs and LDSs make it incumbent upon themselves to tell you about Jesus, but like everyone who belongs to an organisation, they will give you the organisation's version of what's in the Bible.

However, if you want to have an independent non-organisational view of Jesus look up the Bible for yourself. If you do that, you might discover that Jesus

1- was a Jew and remained a Jew throughout his earthly life

2- was circumcised in accordance with God's EVERLASTING covenant with Abraham [Genesis 17:10-14]

3- never taught any religion apart from the one he practised himself. He practised what we call Judaism.

4- prayed and taught in synagogues [John 18:20]

5- and all his disciples used as their scriptures only books from what Christians call the "Old" Testament.

6- was, like most Jews are to this day, a very strict monotheist who confirmed the first commandment that the Lord our God is one Lord [Deuteronomy 6:4 Mark 12:29]

7- never said he was God or described himself as God but rather in John 17:3 openly and clearly declared the heavenly Father to be “the ONLY true God”

8- saw himself as a prophet as we can see from Mark 6:4 where referring to himself he said, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home."

9- was regarded as a prophet not just by the odd person or two, but "the multitude said, This is Jesus the PROPHET of Nazareth of Galilee". That's according to Matthew 21:11.

10- according to no less a person than Peter himself, "[a] WAS A MAN APPROVED OF GOD among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which [c] GOD DID by him" [Acts 2:22]

11- was given the Biblical title “son of God“ and if, as stated in Romans 8:14, "as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God" then it may be argued that of all those carrying that title in the Bible none is more deserving of it than Jesus.

12- said that God had sent him ONLY to the lost sheep of the house of Israel and told his disciples too to restrict themselves accordingly [Matthew 10:5 and 15:24]

13- in keeping with Jewish practice, never ate pig or any other forbidden foods

14- observed the law of Moses and told his followers not to break even the least of the law otherwise they will be considered least in the kingdom of heaven [Matthew 5:19]

15- said that his food was to do the will of God [faithfully do what God had commanded him to do] and said that all those who do the will of God [live by God’s laws] will be his “brother and sister and mother” [John 4:34 and Matthew 12:50]

16- in Matthew 7:21-23 warned the lawless, those who considered the law abolished, that when they realised their error and come running to him for intercession “then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness!’”

17- never taught that sin had entered the world through Adam and would leave through him, Jesus

18- never taught that every baby was born carrying the sin of its forefather, Adam. As a Jew he would have taught about God’s promise in Ezekiel 18:20 that everyone will be accountable for only their own sins not those of their fathers

19- never taught that God refused to forgive sins, or was incapable of doing so, unless mankind sacrificed a sinless human being

20- never told anyone that he had come to die for their sins but in Luke 11:4 taught his followers how to pray to God directly for the forgiveness of their sins by saying "forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us"

21- never said that God was too holy for sinners but through his parable of the prodigal son taught
    That God was more pleased to see a repenting sinner than someone who had hardly sinned [Luke 15:11-24]

22- did not see his mission as coming to give his life on the cross otherwise he would not have said to God BEFORE his crucifixion, “I have FINISHED the work which thou gavest me to do.” [John 17:3,4]

23- in his final hours, never said anything resembling “glorify them God for helping me [either] accomplish what you sent me to do [or] die for their sins” instead “ according to Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” and according Matthew 27:46 at “about the ninth hour Jesus cried with loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, Lama sabachthani? That is to say, My God, My God, why have hast thou forsaken me?”

Feel free to point out what is incorrect in the above

August 3, 2016 12:40 PM MDT

Here it is, the Watchtower manure spreader.

August 3, 2016 4:31 PM MDT

You sound sincere with your question. So my reply is equally as sincere. Many people will tell you to do just what feels right to you and that is what has led to so much confusion. Everyone feels that they are right. Jesus said following him is not about what you feel but turning to God and asking for his direction and listening to his answer from his word the bible. What ever someone tells you see if it is in line with God's word the bible or just plain "church theology". If you are sincere I know you will get the answers that you are looking for. Jesus said that his sheep would hear his voice and listen. This link can be the start that you are looking for.

http://www.jw.org/en/video-why-study-the-bible/

August 4, 2016 5:48 AM MDT

The Jehovah' s witnesses are more than willing to answer any questions you may have. Not as a group, but in a more personal manner of no more than two at your door. As long as you are willing to devote the time. 

September 10, 2016 11:23 PM MDT