Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
my2cents
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Can creationists discredit evolution without inserting some certain degree of intellectual dishonesty in their arguments?

Can creationists discredit evolution without inserting some certain degree of intellectual dishonesty in their arguments?

Some creationist people definitely have a vested interest in discrediting evolution by any means.

Posted - July 15, 2016

Responses

July 15, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

JWs paid a visit to a guy who had multiple degrees and PhDs in evolutionary biology so anyway he examined their literature left with him he thought it was the Watchtower deliberate attempt to discredit evolution by subtle means of intellectual dishonesty.

From Quora.com.
      July 15, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

Can "evolutionists" actually prove evolution without doing the same thing?

July 15, 2016 12:57 PM MDT

Compare evidence based science to belief in supernatural.
      July 15, 2016 1:01 PM MDT

Yes.

They can assert, based on their faith, that GodDidIt, and that claim is not empirically falseifiable. No intellectual dishonesty required.

Where they run into problems is when they try to assert empirical evidence DOES support their faith-based assertion. It is nearly impossible to come up with a coherent evidence-based claim of the validity of the Abrahamic Creation Story without serious cherry-picking, hand-waving, Moving the Goalposts, etc.

July 15, 2016 1:08 PM MDT

I somehow failed 'creationism' when I went to Sunday School because it was so confusing.
      July 15, 2016 1:19 PM MDT

What "evidence-based" science do you refer to?

And do you not have to have "faith" that the science that validates that evidence is actually correct? Remember, the dustbin of history is overflowing with "irrefutable" scientific evidence that was later proven to be incorrect.

(Not picking sides either, just encouraging open minded thinking . . .)

July 15, 2016 1:31 PM MDT

Sure.  In basic science class, they teach that life does not come from non-life.  

Louis Pasteur only produced one “law”, and even that is only tentatively attributed to him: the Law of Biogenesis, which states that life can only come from other life. 

But then in that same class just a few chapters ahead, they teach life did come from non-life but just once.

I don't have a problem with evolution.  It happens all the time.  That is why there is so much varying colors and sizes of our species on our planet.  But a dog is still producing dogs, cats---cats, fish---fish, bears---bears etc.

July 15, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

July 15, 2016 1:35 PM MDT

Why don't you start a creationist club on here?  And put this mumbo jumbo where it belongs.  With people who care.  They can argue ad nauseum with you about it till the cows come home. 

Start a blog or something. 

July 15, 2016 1:38 PM MDT

Science is 'evolutionary' in a sense; as new more advanced discoveries are achieved the previous are eliminated to some degree or built further upon.

Bible beliefs cannot be altered I guess so some overly devout believers must find ways and means to feel for themselves and others sufficiently convinced that the bible is TRUE!
      July 15, 2016 1:44 PM MDT

Ok but i'm not good at starting stuff.
      July 15, 2016 1:50 PM MDT

Probably not and if for no other reason than the fact that the entire religion is predicated upon belief despite insufficient evidence. Or in a word, faith.

July 15, 2016 1:53 PM MDT

Yes, well even Einstein admitted making some bloopers. A person's mind can get caught in some kinds of little ruts I guess and cause the thought pattern to go a bit off track.
      July 15, 2016 1:59 PM MDT

I think abiogenesis is a reasonable hypothesis and extremely complex molecules can be assembled by natural forces.

"Nature works in mysterious ways"
      July 15, 2016 2:05 PM MDT

Yes.
      July 15, 2016 2:09 PM MDT

And yet that very alteration of the Bible has happened over and over and over. Just check out all the different "translations" and versions.And lets not forget that it was an oral history passed from generation to generation before the discovery/invention of "papyrus".

A question for you though . . . what personal gain do you achieve from trying to destroy the sincere beliefs of others? Many find strength in their faith no matter the basis; Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Druids, whatever the faith. So long as that faith doesn't involve harm and destruction of others what's the harm?

July 15, 2016 2:39 PM MDT

People might think 'what is there if THERE IS NO GOD to pray to and worship'? I doubt many true believer's faith would be destroyed by any argument anyway so my intent is not necessarily to destroy harmless religious beliefs but to open possibility there are other alternate answers to questions about life and existence that can be discussed. />
    Eliminate fears of not being 'saved', judgement, demons, et al.
      July 15, 2016 3:07 PM MDT

There are plenty of scientists that are also believers in a "higher power", virtually all do. Then the question becomes is that power sentient or just random. The question you ask is much more complex than a simple answer can cover.

July 15, 2016 4:24 PM MDT

I takes just as much if not more faith to believe in abiogenesis as it does to believe in God.
      July 15, 2016 4:44 PM MDT

I believe in a higher power that I am not consciously aware of but not something of a supernatural nature.
      July 15, 2016 4:44 PM MDT

No.

July 15, 2016 5:22 PM MDT

'Zacklee. I mean egg zacklee.
      July 15, 2016 6:51 PM MDT

Simple for me
    We were created to evolve
      July 16, 2016 11:24 AM MDT