Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » The date of the beginning of the Armenian Genocide is April 24, 1915. The word "genocide" was coined in 1943.. Who cares, right? ,

The date of the beginning of the Armenian Genocide is April 24, 1915. The word "genocide" was coined in 1943.. Who cares, right? ,

Posted - April 23, 2017

Responses

Many people are interested in that topic of discussion, mainly the ones who have a direct connection to it. Still other who do not share that particular connection find it interesting also. I do not know either the raw numbers or the percentages of how many people find it interesting.

Just like almost any topic imaginable, there are people who are obsessed with it, people whose very lives revolve around it, people who study it extensively, people who follow it closely, people who have never heard of it before in their lives, people who have heard of it yet place little substance in it, people who consider it to be a non-topic, people who become incensed by its mention, people who are apathetic about it, people who find it boring, etc, etc.

I sincerely hope that by the tone of your question you are not disparaging anyone for having an opinion about it that places in lower category of importance to them than you place for your own thinking. People have the right to care or not to care about a myriad of things, and their decisions to do so need not match others' decisions, need not meet with others' approval.
    ~
      April 23, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

People care about what they care about. I am among them. I can't care about what I don't care about. I sometimes get replies that say "who cares"? That is very insulting to me and so I sarcastically threw it back in their faces in this question. People are wired differently. They care about what affects them. Some folks stop there and care about nothing else and no one else.  There are others who go beyond  self-interest and do care. Why anyone would take the time to respond to a question with "who cares" I cannot fathom. Some people show up SOLELY to take people down because it gives them a thrill. It floats their boats and rings their chimes.  They are not among those to whom I choose to give my time. It's just that one person too many showed up and said "who cares" or words to that effect.  Thus my question was born. I often use  what people say to me as fodder for more questions. I work things out here that way as I did on Answerbag. One day perhaps you will take what I say at face value and not read into it that which is not there. Or perhaps you won't. I have no control over how you perceive me or what I ask. That's entirely to you. If you choose to give me the benefit of the doubt good for you. If you don't good for you too. Either way is okay. Happy Monday.
      April 24, 2017 6:05 AM MDT