Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » We all descended from Africa, so with evolution will blacks & Asian who live in Europe eventually become white because of the climate?

We all descended from Africa, so with evolution will blacks & Asian who live in Europe eventually become white because of the climate?

Posted - April 23, 2017

Responses

No. Genetics doesn't work that way. There are a lot of theories on why certain genes survive. For example, some geneticists think that maybe the gene mutation for blue eyes survived and thrived because our ancestors thought blue eyes were more attractive. They haven't found a real benefit to them. However, others speculate blue eyes hitched a ride with the light-skinned folks, and was passed on that way. There's no proof either way. When it comes to skin color, lighter-skinned folks were at less risk of getting rickets when they moved out of sunny Africa, thus suggesting they'd have more time to create offspring. The light-skinned genes survived and were passed on more. However, nowadays, rickets isn't really a concern. Healthy lifestyles can prevent it, even for those with darker skin who may be more prone to it due to difficulty absorbing Vitamin D from the sun. Equally, light-skinned folks, who are generally at a higher risk for things like skin cancer, can thrive with skin coverings and sunblock. We've messed with mother nature and there's no telling what she'll do now. The bottom line, though, IF rickets was the cause or one of the causes for light skin to thrive, we've eliminated that. Climate isn't really relevant anymore. It may be relevant in "uncivilized" places and it may become relevant if we have a collapse of society and revert back to a more natural state, where mother nature does her thing, but for now, there's no major difference in the longevity, production of offspring, or partner selection by race.

Realistically, we're seeing a whole lot more people of mixed races being born. It's my guess that we'll eventually have one race, just a giant blob of mixed heritage and genetic traits. But, we don't know that. Nobody knows that. Maybe we'll unintentionally select specific traits to be passed on with our selection of partners. Maybe a new mutation will occur and we'll all think purple people are crazy sexy and want them. lol

Here's a fun article for further reading: http://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/origin-blue-eyes
      April 23, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

Thank you for answering. I did read that black people do have to take vitamin D supplements and that Black men have twice the risk of developing prostate cancer because of the way they process Vitamin D, and that they have more difficulty processing it when taken in tablet form and not from the sun.

https://qz.com/204932/vitamin-d-may-be-key-to-why-black-men-get-more-deadly-prostate-cancers/

April 23, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

Interesting. Well, you may have blown part of my theory out of the water, in as much as the Vitamin D not impacting lifespans anymore, but even with that said, I think we're still talking older generations. Things like prostate cancer tend to settle in later in life, after most men have produced offspring, no? So, that wouldn't impact which genetic traits are passed on... It's interesting that they don't absorb it as well via food though. I wonder why that is.
      April 23, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

Because of the culture ;)
      April 24, 2017 4:12 AM MDT