Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why hasn't America gone metric?

Why hasn't America gone metric?

Inches, feet and miles. Ounces, pints and gallons. Ounces, pounds and stones.

English units. France invented the metric system, France has long been the ally of the USA and for quite a while, England wasn't. So why does the US hold on to an archaic system that even its progenitor has abandoned?

Posted - May 1, 2017

Responses

• "Cost" ... that's the excuse that I've heard repeated throughout the decades that America has kicked around this idea.
      May 1, 2017 4:26 AM MDT

Wouldn't the cost be offset by the savings in simplifying the system and facilitating international trade?
      May 1, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

Nope.
    Because the cost they are talking about, is the cost to the government. 

Besides, even if we waved a magic wand and changed it now, it would take a couple generations ... for the people used to using the "English" measurement system to die off.  lol
      May 1, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

It has but it just uses the old system as well. In the U.S you have choices. Choose wisely :)
      May 1, 2017 6:46 AM MDT

Why do we have to be like everyone else?
      May 1, 2017 6:51 AM MDT

• People resist change. In 1976 in middle school we were told the US would be metric by the time we graduated high school.  Obviously this prediction is not so and I suspect we never will be.  The historic story I read is as follows.  Just round the time of the American War of Independence new and more accurate standards had been incorporated into the metric system.  A ship from England was bring these new weights and measures to the colonies.  The ship sank of the coast and shortly after the war started.  After which the now free former colonies just kept the old English system.
      May 1, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

• It seems like it has in the scientific community. There are some reasons I prefer the Imperial system, however. I prefer Fahrenheit because of the greater precision without the need of decimals. 
      May 1, 2017 9:10 AM MDT

It has in commerce as well. Most things sold have both measurements.
      May 1, 2017 9:18 AM MDT

As a science teacher we always used the SI system. It is easier Many automobiles use both SI and SAE bolts/nuts. Years ago I spent hours trying to find a metric hex wrench when  I was replacing a head gasket on a VW. Our coins used to be weight standards using the metric system, but they forgot that coins wear away.
      May 1, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

I don't know why but if US drug dealers use it, why can't everyone?
      May 1, 2017 10:10 AM MDT

maybe it dont want to
      May 1, 2017 2:41 PM MDT