Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » How do people live without income?

How do people live without income?

Ive been dealing with this for over 5 yrs, ever since i left the resort over 2 hip implants and a knee surgery, I cant just walk around all day like that but noone else will hire me. I have tried everything to get a job but nothing works. I can get foodstamps and medicaid but no cash but you cant buy toilet paper with foodstamps, Ive tried school but i think i have a learning disability and i end up with d's which puts me on probation and i got a d again so now i cant even do that. I cant get ssi, already tried, I thought about trying it with stuff like learning disabilities and see what happens since they wont help with the physical issues. I have hud which helps but i cant create my own job which wouldve solved all this. i cant even sell avon, thought of donating plasma since where i live they pay for it but dont know if they will take it cause one time when i tried it they couldnt find a vein. I cant even so much as find a babysitting job, not even walking dogs. its like nothing works. i think people can be discriminating cause when i had the job about handing out samples they sent this lady to train me and she mentioned how i wouldnt be able to reach the shelves and ever since then they canned me. so what am i supposed to do for income when nothing works? any ideas? 

Posted - May 4, 2017

Responses

Have you tried being a greeter at Wal-Mart?
    A cashier, they let some sit on a stool? 

If you think you could qualify for SSI, you usually still need to use an attorney. They will not charge you unless you win your claim. 

May 4, 2017 6:30 PM MDT

• No you do not need an attorney. They really don't do much except take a chunk of your money when you get allowed. They can't make any changes in the process or the outcome because the disability examiners HAVE to adhere to federal guidelines when processing a claim. A lot of the time they 'misplace' paperwork so it takes longer for the processing so they can get a bigger chunk of the retro pay. If you need someone to help you fill out the mountain of confusing paperwork you will get, find a friend who can help you. Having an attorney can also prevent you from talking to your examiner, some attorneys won't allow direct contact between the claimant and the examiner. If you do get paperwork that you don't understand, call your examiner for help. Trust me on this one, I processed disability claims for 15 years. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 4, 2017 7:58 PM MDT
      May 4, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

I am sure you are correct over all. But I don't know anyone who was able to get it with out the attorney. They were all denied at first attempt.  But I only know about 3 people personally. 
      May 4, 2017 7:21 PM MDT

• Claimants usually are denied the first time. Do not get an attorney, they do not have the ability to do anything about the processing. The people you know didn't get it because they had an attorney, they got it because they met a listing. That's the ONLY way you will get allowed, if you do not meet a listing, an attorney cannot do squat about that. The best thing to do if you feel your claim isn't being processed correctly is to contact your congressman and request a congressional inquiry. They have people in each agency who handles these requests, The claim will be gone over with a fine tooth comb to see if it was processed right. They have to report back to the congressman's office with their findings. 
      May 4, 2017 7:29 PM MDT

I was on SSI when my kids were small.  Got off of it, went to college, was employed until my disability became worse.  It took about 16 months after I quit working to get SSI again.  Then they added SSDI to my SSI.  I needed no lawyer.  I just had to fill out the paperwork, see THEIR doctor to prove I STILL had Cerebral Palsy. (Lol..I told them Cerebral Palsy does NOT go away) I received my SSI and SSDI within months of my seeing their doctor. My friend hired a lawyer who took 5 years to get her benefits.  The lawyer told her not to worry because she would get a BIGGER lump sum payment.  He did not tell her that HE would get a big payment also...smh
      May 5, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

• BINGO! That's what most of them do. My friend was applying and her attorney kept 'losing' her paperwork. I wish I had known that's what she as doing, I would have told her not to do that. 
      May 5, 2017 8:31 AM MDT

ive tried all of it
      May 4, 2017 9:47 PM MDT

Pearl, contact vocational rehabilitation services. Just Google "vocational rehabilitation" and the name of the state in which you live. If you get food stamps and HUD, you will definitely qualify for their services. They will help you figure out what kind of job you'd like/can do, find and fund training if necessary, help you find a job and help you keep it.

Good luck!
      May 4, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

• That's excellent advice. They do help quite a few people. 
      May 4, 2017 7:48 PM MDT

been there and done that, they dumped me, not sure why
      May 4, 2017 9:48 PM MDT

Voc Rehab DOES let you know why they are no longer able to help you out.  Once I received my degree and went thru Voc Rehab they did give me very specific reasons why they did everything they did. 
      May 5, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

They cannot just "dump" you without cause. Either you didn't do what was asked of you or you were found to be unemployable. If you were found to be unemployable, there's your ticket to social security of some sort. My guess would be disability, as if you have been deemed unemployable due to your physical or mental condition, you're disabled enough to get SSD.

If you receive Medicaid and food stamps, you have a caseworker with the state. If you go into the office where you get your benefits renewed and tell them you want to work, they will help you.

O-uknow's idea is an excellent one. Volunteering might not lead to paid work right away, but it will give you a sense of purpose and prepare you for paid work. It will also help you be grateful for what you have and feel good about helping someone less fortunate. There are over a million people in the US who are homeless. The fact that you have internet access says a lot about how fortunate you are.
      May 5, 2017 8:20 AM MDT

I am surprised that Pearl's technician has not been able to get her the assistance she needs to get disability thru SSI. I live in a senior/disabled building thru my states Housing Authority.  I have been amazed how much help we have been able to receive living here.  From the nurses who come once a month, to getting seniors/disabled the necessary help they need from different organizations.
      May 5, 2017 8:44 AM MDT

Pearl, sometimes volunteer work leads to paid work. Apply to organizations working to improve the community. I suspect they hide positions for people they think deserve them and may offer on the job training. I will keep thinking about this and is all I have for now :(
      May 4, 2017 8:39 PM MDT

i cant find work, the last thing i want to do is free work to be honest
      May 4, 2017 9:49 PM MDT

Pearl, it sounds like you have an excuse for everything you do or don't do. Volunteer opportunities often lead to employment IF the organization sees you REALLY are dependable.  I know a woman who volunteered for 5 years, then was offered a job. People need to see you are trying. 
      May 5, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

I was just talking to one of my neighbors- she and I both volunteer for the same community activities- and she was telling me about how she got back to work after taking more than a decade off to raise kids. During her time off, she was super active. She led a ton of neighborhood activities, school organizations, and was involved in her kids' sports teams. She actually listed all that on her resume. When she got her foot in the door at a big corporation for an interview, she took a big organized binder of all the things she did with her, put it down on the desk, and said, "I know there's a stigma about hiring women who have taken time off to raise their families. People often think they sit around and do nothing. I want to show you this- this is what I've accomplished with my time off." She got the job.
      May 5, 2017 1:19 PM MDT

The organization I worked for years ago depended on volunteers and interns to help in all different aspects.  From serving the homeless, to helping out filing in the clinic to helping me in Client Services.  Volunteers are priceless.  We ran a food bank in our community, helped our elementary school kids get free backpacks and helped get a new library built in the community. Everything we did for our community were all volunteer hours. This post was edited by SA (SuperA) at May 5, 2017 8:22 PM MDT
      May 5, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

Don't you think that since you have so much time on your hands that it would be nice to give back to the community which seems to be giving so much to you?  Let's face it, the only direct help you get is from your friend is telephone and internet.  All your other expenses are being paid through the taxes paid by others.
      May 5, 2017 5:13 PM MDT

There are jobs that don't require you to stand or walk all day.  Secretarial work is mostly sitting, you can cashier sitting down, you can be a telephone receptionist sitting down, you can do telemarketing sitting down.  I'm not sure why you ask how people live with no money when you say you've been out of work for five years.  How have you managed to do it? This post was edited by SpunkySenior at May 5, 2017 11:32 AM MDT
      May 4, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

ive been living on jobs that didnt work out and their tax refunds, i get hud, food stamps and medicaid plus ive been going to school and was getting grants, plus i have a friend that will help me if i need anything
      May 5, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

Then I would imagine that others do the same thing that you do.
      May 5, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

Who is helping you now Pearl?
    Like with other supplies, internet and other bills?
    You must be getting money from someone. This post was edited by Lulu'sMom at May 5, 2017 11:31 AM MDT
      May 5, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

to lulu's mom, my friend has been paying my phone and internet. Ive been living in hud housing, ive lived on jobs that dont work out and their tax refunds, ive gotten grants for school, and i get foodstamps and medicaid
      May 5, 2017 4:06 PM MDT