Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Should gun laws be decided by each state or should there be ONE Federal guideline that is uniform for all? Why?

Should gun laws be decided by each state or should there be ONE Federal guideline that is uniform for all? Why?

Posted - May 5, 2017

Responses

I don't see how America can ever have effective gun control if they don't bring it into federal law. Otherwise, what would stop someone getting a gun that was not legal in one state, in a different state?
      May 6, 2017 8:33 AM MDT

Bingo HarryD! None of our gun-related laws in the US of A make any sense to me. The "brilliant" pols recently voted to allow the mentally ill to own guns. I know. That is quite stupid isn't it? But the NRA and the gun folks worship their guns and fervently believe that anyone who wants one should have one. You know how Americans are about their religions right? After all when muskets were the rage hundreds of year ago the Constitution said we the people have the right to arm bear..bear arms. I wonder how many gun people actually own muskets? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      May 8, 2017 2:35 AM MDT

And some states allow the blind to have the "right" to bear arms.
      May 8, 2017 7:09 AM MDT

I would say "you're kidding, right" but nothing surprises me. I wonder if is there a legal age to own a gun or if you can shoot one that's all it takes? I'm gonna ask! Thank you for your reply HarryD!:)
      May 8, 2017 7:27 AM MDT

In the UK..Great Britain it is illegal to have a gun, if you have one and get caught owning one you get 5 years in Jail.
    Only the Police, Army and Criminals have guns the the UK.
      May 7, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

That's one of the things I admire most about the Brits. They are very intelligent and logical and practical! I have read that many of your police do not carry guns.Thank you for your informative reply tim and Happy Monday! :)
      May 8, 2017 2:31 AM MDT

Not quite. Our gun ownership goes up year on year, and is actually higher than it has ever been. Plenty of people get to legally own guns, but you are very strictly vetted before being allowed to, and your licence will soon be taken away for an infraction of the conditions. Criminals find it very hard to obtain guns, and our incidence of gun and violent crime remains very low.
    Here are a couple of links to back up what I said. The first is the data for the number of gun licences issued. The next one is the Office of National Statistics crime figures. Both are for the year ending March 2015, the most recent available. The ONS was set up as an independent body to hold the government to account. ONS figures only cover England and Wales. The Scottish Parliament compiles separate figures for that country, likewise Northern Ireland. I would like to particularly draw the attention of Americans to this bit:
    "There were 19 fatalities resulting from offences involving firearms in the year ending March 2015; 10 fewer than the previous year and the lowest since the series began in 1969."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-march-2015/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-march-2015
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/compendium/focusonviolentcrimeandsexualoffences/yearendingmarch2015/chapter3offencesinvolvingtheuseofweapons
    Just found the Scottish Parliament's data.
    http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Crime-Justice/TrendFirearm
    Can't seem to find the government ones for Northern Ireland. It is the most violent part of the UK, because of its troubled history. Despite that, the Republic of Ireland has more violence than the North.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/republic-of-ireland-is-deadliest-place-to-live-in-irish-and-british-isles-new-figures-34614775.html This post was edited by HarryDemon at May 8, 2017 7:46 AM MDT
      May 8, 2017 7:45 AM MDT