Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Can plantains be eaten raw?

Can plantains be eaten raw?

I've never had a plantain before, but I finally bought one after years of wondering what they taste like. I know people generally cook those things, but can it be eaten raw?
What does it taste like and what's the difference if it's cooked or raw? I always thought it was just a really ugly banana, but why do people cook them? Is it like how you wouldn't eat a raw potato? Does it taste gross?

Posted - May 9, 2017

Responses

Count me The Village Idiot -- I don't even know what they are.
    :)
      May 9, 2017 7:26 PM MDT

you can't eat raw plantains, they stick to your gums and it would be too hard too to bite. If you are interested in cooking raw plantain, buy it in an Indian grocery store, ( stores like Sprouts, Whole Foods keep unripe bananas and sell them as plantains, those are too sweet to be fried or curried).
    You can slice them and dip in chick pea flour batter and make fritters, they are so yumm.. you can cube them and fry them with chilli powder and salt or slice them lengthwise and stir fry them and spice them with chilling powder and salt,the options are unlimited...I could give you even tips to make it a curry...it is awesome;))
    - It is also a good source of resistance starch which may help keep cholesterol in check.
    -Raw plaintains  are rich in fibre which aid in digestion and promote heart health.
    -Since raw bananas have low sugar content, these are a great option for diabetics.
     -They are also low on glycemic content and help combat risks of diabetes and keeping blood sugar in control.
    - plaintain consumption slows down the digestive process which helps in keeping full for longer, thereby, keeping a check on untimely hunger pangs. 
    -These are a good source of potassium and Vitamin B-6 and also facilitate absorption of essential minerals and nutrients, especially calcium.
      May 9, 2017 7:34 PM MDT

• I have never heard of them being eaten raw, always pan fried.
      May 9, 2017 8:04 PM MDT

Too starchy.  Icky.
      May 9, 2017 8:21 PM MDT