Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If you have ever had to take oxycodone for a pain script, did it make you sleepy or pep you up?

If you have ever had to take oxycodone for a pain script, did it make you sleepy or pep you up?

Posted - May 11, 2017

Responses

I had a discectomy and lumbar fusion in late 2010. Before that surgery, I was hobbling with the aid of a cane, addicted to the narcotic painkillers, unable to hold down a job or drive a car (couldn't sit for more than 10 minutes at a stretch) - and I'd been like that for six years.
    Within a fortnight of the op, I was running again - and have not taken anything  stronger than ibuprofen since. I had a good surgeon, he gave me my life back. A little arthritis, I can stand that.
      May 12, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

Glad you found a good surgeon. 
      May 12, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

• Yes.  Just puts me into a stupor.   Sorta tired but never fully falling asleep. Kinda like a sleep walking semi-lucid state.
      May 11, 2017 6:33 PM MDT

Puts me out cold. 
      May 12, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

• It does for a lot of people.
      May 12, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

The nightmares are very real.  I'm on medication to treat my nightmares, something I have suffered my whole life.  Then when I needed pain meds right after my surgery, the nightmares came right back, even on my anti nightmare med.  The nightmares also could have been having several hours of general anesthesia too.  The chemistry in the brain can be thrown off by all sorts of factors.

Needless to say, switching over to Tylenol as soon as I could was a good choice for me.  I haven't had any more nightmares either.  
      May 11, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

• That's pretty much what it does to me too only agitated and impatient instead of that kinda of emotional.    I get very short and irritated.
      May 11, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

I think that is common too.  Someone I know was taking a fair share and was very agitated and moody on them.  
      May 11, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

• Everything becomes too bright and too  loud sorta.  Best way to describe the state of mind they put me in.
      May 11, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

• Alcohol?  No, not really.  I'm an energetic and jovial drunk.
      May 11, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

I'm usually a very happy soul with a few drinks.  But one thing I did learn; stay far away from it if I am in a bad place.  

People do a lot of stupid things while drunk, especially if depressed.  
      May 11, 2017 7:19 PM MDT

Truth.  Even the Internet and depression are a bad mix.  
      May 11, 2017 9:21 PM MDT

I have not had any of that just knocks me out cold. But I don't remember my dreams anyway. 
      May 12, 2017 4:57 AM MDT

Hard to say if they made me sleepy.  I think my surgical recovery made me sleepy, not the meds.  I wasn't on them very long.
      May 11, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

So I have been reading.  Sometimes the effects don't show until 3 or 4 weeks later.  

I aced the surgery.  I was shocked how quickly I was up and about and feeling pretty good.  But just in the last week or so, I have had these horrible, "wanting to cry" jags.  Today, I just gave in and cried for about 4 hours straight.  Yeh...a lot is going on in my life, but these extreme emotions are not my norm.  

Doctors and surgeons sure don't warn you about it.  I had to look it up.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at May 11, 2017 9:37 PM MDT
      May 11, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

I am a big WHY person.  I want to know everything I can about any challenge I am facing.  I was actually shocked to learn the MEDICAL community knows about this anesthetic induced depression and it can hit anyone.  Hearing that it often strikes week 3 or 4 after surgery was an eye opener for me.  I already have the tendency for depression, so there you have it.  I am hoping this will pass.  In the meantime, I continue to take my supplements and do all I can to take care of myself.  
      May 11, 2017 7:23 PM MDT

Thank-you for the kind words.   It's very much appreciated.
      May 11, 2017 7:30 PM MDT

Wow, hope you are feeling better.
      May 12, 2017 4:22 AM MDT

Thank-you M2C.  Physically?  I have a new lease on life.  No kidding.  I had extensive sinus surgery that gave me the ability to breathe perfectly through my nose, smell everything around me, and taste even the most subtle things.  

I can only assume the depression lately is what I have been reading about anesthesia and the somewhat latent side effect.  
      May 12, 2017 8:28 AM MDT

• Very sleepy.
      May 11, 2017 7:24 PM MDT