Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » MATERIALIST. A very nice thing to be? MATERIALISM. A very nice thing to embrace/espouse,promulgate? WHY?

MATERIALIST. A very nice thing to be? MATERIALISM. A very nice thing to embrace/espouse,promulgate? WHY?

MATERIALIST.  "A person who is markedly more concerned with material things than with spiritual, intellectual or cultural values."

MATERIALISM. "A preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts and considerations with a disinterest or rejection of spiritual, intellectual and cultural values".

Posted - May 14, 2017

Responses

probably cause people need material stuff too
      May 14, 2017 4:26 PM MDT

My wife is a materialist...That's why our garage is full of "junk". I already have enough stuff and would gladly give much of it away.
      May 14, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

What about having garage sales Ele? Do it in increments. People in our neighborhood do it from time to time. We haven't had one yet but one day we probably will. They set up tables and put stuff out. Some people will put prices om them. Others just negotiate everything. Saturdays and Sundays from say 8am-noon is usually how they schedule them. That way you don't tie up your entire day. You should see the folks that just stop as they're driving by to look. The neighbors do very well. Just a thought. Of course if your wife bought all that stuff I expect she'd raise he** if you did that unilaterally without her consent. Anyway good luck! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      May 15, 2017 3:51 AM MDT

Much of it was given to her by her clients. She refuses to give it up even if it broken or useless.
      May 15, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

Yup, that about sounds like most of western civilization. 
      May 14, 2017 11:24 PM MDT

You know what I'm going to ask you already Autumn. The  $64,000 question. "WHY?" What is it about material things that causes people to do what they do to get them? Where are the parents and what are they teaching their children? Have they just abdicated their responsibility or do they just shape their children to be replicas of them and all they have to give there children is how to be materialistic? T'is a puzzlement. I know we need material things to survive. I'm not a hermit nor do I lead an ascetic life. I like our computer and our TV and microwave. They cost money. But I also greatly value kindness and goodness and people who care about other people.  Sharing what we have is important to me. So is being civil/polite/cordial/friendly. I reject hate but I see evidence of it everywhere...most especially from some so-called "religious" people and even more especially among many politicians. They operate on hate. I don't get it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 15, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

Dear rosie, I also have said to you in the past that I can relate to your frustration, I don't know if you remember me expressing this, or if you even believe me. I just want to assure you that you are not alone if you feel a sense of abandonment. At times, even for a moment I can feel as you. However, I will recall bible scriptures that put my fears to rest. One that comes to mind is 1peter 3:8 "however, do not let this escape your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day." When we learn to perceive time as Jehovah does it will help you to understand the precision of Jehovah's timing and where we find ourselves in human history. So if to Jehovah God one day is like a thousand years, how long have you and i existed according to how he sees time? I figured that according to God's calculations I have only lived a mere 2 and a half hours. The reason we can become disillusioned with present conditions is because we want to see the end immediately. Life in this old world becomes increasingly harder. By biblical calculations the end of this system of things is about to expire. Most of all prophecies relating to the time of the end have been fulfilled. The nation's are all coming together to battle against the Almighty. (Revelation 1614,16)
    a servant of Jehovah once expressed "how long, o God, will the adversary keep taunting? Will your enemy treat your name with disrespect forever? In the past, even some bible writers wondered why God had not intervened in human affairs and ushered in true justice and righteousness. At a point in his life asaph, a levite musician became spiritually down hearted. He saw the material prosperity of wicked men, and he noticed that they often seemed to be content with their life, not experiencing any adverse consequences. We read:"I became envious of the boasters, when I would see the very peace of wicked people. For they have no deathly pangs; and their paunch is fat. They are not even in the trouble of mortal man, and they are not plagued the same as other men."(Psalms 73:2-8)but in time that bible writer came to realize that such a negative viewpoint was wrong.(Psalms 73:15,16)the psalmist tried to adjust his thinking, but he could not fully comprehend why the wicked seemed to get away with wrongdoing while rightly disposed people often suffered. 
    Eventually, that faithful man of old came to understand what was in store for the wicked-that Jehovah would ultimately set matters straight. (Psalms 73:17-19)rosie, I know it's hard to breathe when you're under water. One minute can seem like a lifetime. However in the scheme of things, in one hundred years, when this old world will have been gone for a long time and you will be looking back and you have eternity to live in perfect conditions, how much of all this will you remember? (Revelation 21:4) I hope you find comfort in Jehovah's promises of a better future! Lots of hugs, if you don't hear from me till next week, it will be because I will be attending my regional convention in San Diego. :) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at May 24, 2017 3:50 AM MDT
      May 18, 2017 1:00 AM MDT