Discussion » Questions » Relationships » With divorce rate 50% and rising are the only people able to stay married, GAY?

With divorce rate 50% and rising are the only people able to stay married, GAY?

The path of the heterosexual is curvy with the only thing straight its orientation ;)

Posted - May 14, 2017

Responses

The divorce rate is NOT 50%. Perhaps in the entertainment industry the numbers are good but I looked it up for a report last year.  I was surprised to find low divorce rates in every state. 
      May 14, 2017 10:03 PM MDT

Good news then! I stand corrected. Heterosexuals making a come back :)
      May 14, 2017 10:07 PM MDT

No, no, no. You made me doubt myself. Statistics are still showing a little less than a 50% chance a marriage will not make it to the 20 year mark. That means the marriage will not last. No until death do we part. So divorce is around 50%, given time. No one said divorce had to be immediate. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 14, 2017 10:16 PM MDT
      May 14, 2017 10:11 PM MDT

Less than 50%? That IS low! Lol! 

Immediate divorce... now that's a good idea. 
      May 14, 2017 10:17 PM MDT

I do believe most people getting married are doing it for legal reasons, they get more benefits, life gets somewhat easier, doesn't mean that their relationship does.

and I also believe both hetersexual and homosexual married couples face very similar, if not the same problems. Gay couples may hold on to marriage with a tighter grip only because they fought for it and don't wanna let it go that easily.
      May 14, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

Nope.  If one goes into a marriage with the idea they can wipe the slate clean and start over, they aren't likely to last.  If one goes into it with the mindset that this is forever, you realize that forever is a very l-o-n-g time...and you had better get it right...but...the payoff for doing so is exquisite.
      May 14, 2017 11:29 PM MDT

Straight, married for almost 28 years and counting. Personally I'm in favour of gay marriage, not because I think homosexual relationships are likely to last longer than heterosexual ones but because it's an issue of basic human rights - and whose business is it anyway?

May 14, 2017 11:33 PM MDT

It is difficult to get good data on the divorce rate among gay people, because many places wont even allow them to marry in the first place. so just offhand I would expect that the 'unofficial Partnerships' between Gays get broken up at about the same rate as 'normal' marriages, maybe a bit more often since the relationship is a more casual one (shacking up together, is a common practice these days, even among people who can marry eachother).
      May 15, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

seems like it but they probably get divorced too
      May 15, 2017 2:54 PM MDT