Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Ever been to an Irish Wake? They CELEBRATE the dearly departed. What about a New Orleans funeral? They play jazz. Offensive or joyful?

Ever been to an Irish Wake? They CELEBRATE the dearly departed. What about a New Orleans funeral? They play jazz. Offensive or joyful?

What  kind of music would you like at your funeral? A DIRGE or something jazzy and snappy and lively and vibrant? Want people smiling and sharing happy stories about you or crying and sobbing hysterically? How do you think your loved one would react seeing you like that? What do you think he/she would prefer? Misery/despair/pain? Is that what you would prefer?

Posted - May 15, 2017

Responses

In New Orleans, I believe they play a dirge on the way to the cemetery and lively music after the burial to celebrate the deceased going to a "better" place.  Personally, once I'm dead, I don't care what they play since I won't be around to hear it. :)
      May 15, 2017 12:40 PM MDT

But wouldn't you want the folks who attend to be joyful, happy and recall all the good times? I sure would. I wouldn't want to see people weeping and crying and being unhappy. I mean why would I? They'd be the ones who loved me whom I loved. Why would I want them to be unhappy?  Different strokes. Thank you for your reply Spunky! :)
      May 15, 2017 12:56 PM MDT

But you aren't going to be around to know whether they're happy or not. :)
      May 15, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

How do you KNOW? Have you ever been dead and attended your funeral Spunky? I haven't. Until I do all things are possible. I bet you think I'm joking. I'm not. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 17, 2017 7:15 AM MDT

No, I haven't, but so far, I haven't heard any stories from anyone who has. :)
      May 17, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

never been to any of those
      May 15, 2017 1:39 PM MDT

Originally a wake was to ensure that the "dearly departed" was actually dead. That's why it was called that, a few times the "corpse" did wake up.
    A wake celebrates a loved one's life, not their death. I've attended a few, my heritage is mostly Irish even though I'm five generations Australian. Never been to New Orleans.
    There are two songs I've told my kids to play at mine - "Kyrie" by Mr Mister and "Spirit In The Sky" as covered by Dr and the Medics (the Norman Greenbaum original has too many discordant pops and whistles in it, the homemade fuzz box he used had feedback issues).
      May 15, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

You are an  neverending fountain of information my friend. I did not know most of what you shared and so thank you for it! I love celebrating the life of the person. We are of Armenian ancestry so we don't have wakes. But I do remember everyone coming to our house after Daddy's funeral and you should have heard the laughter! Folks were drinking and eating and remembering daddy and sharing some favorites stories. I think Daddy would have had a jolly good time. It was focusing on his LIFE that brought smiles to our faces..yes, there were tears to be sure but still it was a celebratory party of the life of a very good, very well-loved man. I will never forget it!  Thank you for your reply Sbf! As usual it is more than worth reading. It's educational! ((hugs))
      May 17, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

I love Spirit in the Sky - and I'm not even Christian!
      May 17, 2017 9:04 AM MDT

Which version do you prefer?
      May 17, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

I believe I've only heard the original.  It's one of those songs that when I hear in the car, I open all the windows and blast it.
      May 17, 2017 12:46 PM MDT

Greenbaum built the fuzz box (to distort the clean Humbucker pickup) in his garage, using an old valve amplifier, as there were no effects pedals other than sustain and wah-wah at the time. He deliberately "de-tuned" it but left open circuits, which gave him the sound he wanted but also created one hell of a lot of feedback, hence the discordant pops, whines and whistles which the producer wasn't able to edit out.
    When Dr and the Medics covered it in the 80s, those effects pedals DID exist so they got the sound Greenbaum was aiming for without the feedback - it's a better overall product.
      May 17, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

That's all way over my head.  All I know is that I love that song. :)
      May 17, 2017 9:42 PM MDT