Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Education » Are "specials" important parts of elementary school curriculum?

Are "specials" important parts of elementary school curriculum?

(PE, music, art, foreign language, media/ library)

Posted - May 26, 2017

Responses

• "Important" may not be the word I'd choose, but I do think it's a good idea to offer as much as possible, as soon as possible, to our youth. School would have been really boring without "specials." As a child, it was comforting to know that I was going to enjoy at least small part of the school day. :)
      May 26, 2017 1:54 PM MDT

• Why are these set aside as "specials", not just curricula?
      May 26, 2017 8:04 PM MDT

Children should at least be exposed to things other than the three Rs to pique their interests. PE is very important and should be a once a day thing
      May 27, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

Yes...all of them!!  I just learned that in our schools starting in seventh grade students may take an additional elective if they don't mind being at school at 7:10 AM.  One might not think this would be a popular offering, but all indications are that most of the kids are opting for it.  My first thought was that it's a working single parent's nightmare , if there are siblings not having the 7:10AM arrival time.  But, it's encouraging too. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 27, 2017 4:41 PM MDT
      May 27, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

i think so
      May 29, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

The broader the curriculum the better, with due regard to the pupils' ages and abilities, and quality of teaching.

In many countries, a foreign language is a compulsory subject, though different nations probably have their own ideas on the age at which to start it. For Britons of my age (at school in the 1950s-60s), that second language was usually French,  introduced in the first year of secondary school at age 11. PE and music were also standard subjects, and from Infants' School.
      July 18, 2017 3:44 PM MDT