Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Am I understanding this correctly, if we don't follow along what France, Germany, The U.K and the rest of Europe are doing we give up our

Am I understanding this correctly, if we don't follow along what France, Germany, The U.K and the rest of Europe are doing we give up our

chance to be the leader?

Posted - June 3, 2017

Responses

You belong in the White House.  Your loyalty is shining through at the expense of understanding anything remotely close to what this issue entails.

This is about banding together to solve a global issue.  Leaders and egos need to be laid at the door.   Our planet is in trouble.  It has been proven.  We don't have TIME.

DO YOU GET IT?  We have no TIME to pretend that TRUMP or what TRUMP thinks or what TRUMP wants matters.  There are bigger and better minds that have the ANSWERS not what Trump wants to be the answer.

We are all going to have kids that will not live past what is happening right now.  They are stuck with global warming, air pollution, chemical waste, overwhelming population growth and TRUMP wants no part of the solution.

He is NO leader.  He is  a STUPID PIG.  And anyone who backs this mentality, needs to be locked in a playpen.  For good.
      June 3, 2017 11:24 AM MDT

Oh, I just literally laughed out loud at that graphic.
      June 3, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

I'm pretty sure if we could photograph his mind, that would be real.
      June 3, 2017 12:19 PM MDT

Pretty much.  We will give up the chance to be in the forefront of innovating new renewable energy methods.  China is pretty much ahead of us there already in the solar energy area.  The other countries will begin to look to China to lead as we've already seen by Merkel and other EU leaders cozying up to China.  If that continues, the U.S. will be relegated to the backburner and that is clearly not a good place to be.  Norway already has 30% of its cars using electric while all of ours are still using fossil fuel.  We (the U.S.) have been sitting back on our haunches for far too long, basking in the every fading glory of being the world's superpower, but if we don't get our feet off the desk and start making inroads in new technologies, we will be that Third World country to which we so often refer.  Our electric grid is horrid.  Do you have any idea how easy it would be for a hacker to completely shut it down?  Our infrastructure is crumbling, there is barely a road that isn't filed with potholes.  We have some of the worst airports in the world.  This is not the way a superpower stays in power.
      June 3, 2017 12:09 PM MDT

Trump STEAKS.  Get 'em while they are on sale~
      June 3, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

Right.  And extra long ties!
      June 3, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

I am afraid the idea that the States retains it's position of leader has not been so for many years, perhaps a decade or more.. 

However, that's not to say that people don't look to the States, the UK etc.. for example.. The US IS supposed to be one of the shining lights of democracy... I am afraid that has definitely been shot to pieces with the current choice and that's NOT me saying that.. it's what they say.. 

However, to address your question.. that isn't what people were saying.. it was definitely that the US is expected to take a position that will be held as a good example around the world.. and instead the position taken has the opposite effect - and the worrying thing would be that if others copied that stance we'd all be up you know what creek without a paddle..  

When Trump says he can re-negotiate.. do remember that it doesn't work like that and the US is already one of the worse for producing CO2 gasses, not only because it's a huge country but in terms of per million of population.. I said all that in my last post on this subject in answer to your other question.. I think you must have missed that point.. 

As to the rather emotional comment about France, German, UK.. may I remind you that the Paris agreement has 195 countries that have signed up to it. .. so please do put that into perspective.. this isn't about France, Germany OR the UK... it's about the world needing to work together and the US should be leading others by example, their being a rich and very large country... 

I'd just point out too.. .re the idea that America like to think of themselves as a superpower and leaders.. China have stepped in and will be assuming that role in respect of Climate change.. now, wasn't that fortuitous for China that America ducked out?? And you wonder why America is no longer seen as influential as it used to be?  Please don't shoot me.. i am just the messenger here 
      June 3, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

No.  Maybe we are being the leader.  But your understanding is not correct.   I think you already know that.  :)
      June 3, 2017 7:27 PM MDT

Aye, indeed :)
      June 3, 2017 11:11 PM MDT