Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » IF your quality of life were to change where is the line that would cause you to stop fighting to live and just let go? Why?

IF your quality of life were to change where is the line that would cause you to stop fighting to live and just let go? Why?

Posted - June 5, 2017

Responses

Interesting question.  For me, I think it would be if I had a incurable disease, was in a lot of pain and unable to care for myself.  Happy Monday.) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 5, 2017 6:14 PM MDT
      June 5, 2017 9:11 AM MDT

That sounds about right for me too Spunky. However if the incurable disease did not keep me in constant pain I could live with it. If I needed assistance with things but were not bedridden or immobile I could live with the incurable disease and also having people help me on occasion. I think. Hopefully neither of us will experience the need for that decision. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 5, 2017 1:19 PM MDT
      June 5, 2017 12:32 PM MDT

I'm glad you weren't in constant pain.  I hope neither of us needs to make that choice either. :)
      June 5, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

I admit it -- it's too difficult for me to think about at the moment. Interesting question, yes, like SpunkySenior said.
      June 5, 2017 11:23 AM MDT

I think Spunky's answer was quite good...Mine is somewhat similar with a couple of tweaks. Thank you for stopping by WQ. Hopefully you will never need to make such a choice. :)
      June 5, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

Hi RosieG and thanks for your kind response -- I mowed my lawn just now and thought a bit about your question and SpunkySenior's answer - - and now have just read your comment to Spunky. Yes, I think my answer might be pretty close to what both of you are saying here.
    Here's to good health to all!
    :)
      June 5, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

Excellent my friend. Wouldn't it be a crock of fun if the 3 of us ended up somewhere in the far-distant future so we could continue this conversation and others into infinity?  One can always fantasize. It's free! Thank you for your reply. Do you have a large lawn m'dear? If so do you ride one of those nifty lawnmowers I've seen advertised on TV.? They look like a lot of fun. My dad used to mow our lawn..before electric lawnmowers were common.  It was a lot of work. Our front lawn was of average size but the backyard was monstrously big. He got a very good workout!:)
      June 5, 2017 1:18 PM MDT

Average-sized lawn here, Rosie. I have a battery-powered mower advertised as one of the world's quietest mowers. People walk by sometimes and actually ask if I'm mowing the yard, ha! They think I'm planting seed or something, I guess- - it's pretty quiet.
    It's still a good workout on a sunny warm day.
      June 5, 2017 1:25 PM MDT

Thanks for the info WQ. How large a size do batteries get? I mean we have D batteries. What size does your lawnmower take? I  didn't know there WERE battery-powdered ones! I don't know a lot of stuff. An Answermugger told me about a battery-powered peppermill! Imagine that?  Do they have battery-powered people? I think I'm gonna ask that question! L(
      June 5, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

:) I just saw your battery question.

Here's a picture of the 24 volt battery it takes to run my mower. After a mow, I plug it in to an outlet until it's fully charged again. It's very solid, rather heavy and about the size of a small/medium lunchbox. It fits inside the guts of the mower as it mows.

Battery-powered people -- they'll be the last to admit they're battery-powered, I bet!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 5, 2017 1:47 PM MDT
      June 5, 2017 1:46 PM MDT

People can say what they THINK they would do, but NO ONE KNOWS unless that moment is upon you.  We can only speculate.  I would like to think that I would give it up the minute I felt I could not be vital and felt like I was a burden.  But who knows? I have not been faced with that. 

I'm sure unbearable pain would do it for most people, but again, I have not experienced this horror.

I am not all that attached to life.  I am here, I know I will be somewhere else, so death is just another road.  Without a body to have to deal with.  It might be a lot better. Depending on what you bring with you when you leave the planet.  If you are  a Trump, you may be in for a lot of pain and sorrow when you realize what a waste of space you were, but I am not dead, so I don't know exactly how it works.

I feel like if I really try to do my best and be nice as often as possible, that has to count for something.
      June 5, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

probably if i was in too much pain i wouldnt want to be here
      June 5, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

I would say it's time to go when I can no longer feed myself or wipe my own butt.
      June 5, 2017 2:12 PM MDT

We get along.  If you pay me, I will do all that for you and more. 
      June 5, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
      June 5, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

I wouldn't know until I was in that place. A persons will is not known until tested. 
      June 5, 2017 6:16 PM MDT