Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » I know nature and nurture go hand-in-hand. But which exerts the strongest influence? Why do you think so?

I know nature and nurture go hand-in-hand. But which exerts the strongest influence? Why do you think so?

IF someone is born with an IQ of 100 the accomplishments are gonna be somewhat limited. IF a person has an IQ of 175 but is born to parents who abuse/ignore/demean/don't love then that person will be limited/damaged too. Which "IF" carries more weight as to the fate of the person? Is nature or nurture more important here?  Why?

Posted - June 5, 2017

Responses

i think nurture has the greater influence
      June 5, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

"IF someone is born with an IQ of 100 the accomplishments are gonna be somewhat limited."? If I did not know better I would have thought this was coming from a bigoted Conservative NOT a lofty enlightened Liberal. This post was edited by O-uknow at June 6, 2017 4:09 AM MDT
      June 5, 2017 9:25 PM MDT

"Lofty, enlightened liberal"...bwaaaahaahaaha!!!
      June 5, 2017 9:32 PM MDT

100 is average O. That means such a person is probably is not suited to be nuclear physicist. That's all I meant. Your intellectual capacity governs how you go through life, what your interests are and what you can achieve. I have an above-average IQ but not above enough for me to ever pursue what I would have loved to be..a quantum physicist. It's out of reach for me intellectually. I know my limitations and I 'm ok with that. You did not answer my question. You criticized me for stating a truth which is odd and puzzlling. Do you know your limitations or do you believe you can achieve anything your heart desires? Of course you could be a genius in which case you CAN achieve whatever you want. My son has a genius IQ and he has achieved a lot in life. I could never have become what he has or done with my life what he has. I achieved the best I could within the framework of my abilities and interests. You can make a big deal out of the question but I would like you to answer it if you can see your way clear to do so. Lying in wait to criticize is not helpful, useful or thoughtful. It certainly isn't kind. Why are you here on earth O?  What is your purpose? Do you ever think about that? If so how are you doing so far? Thank you for your reply. Now how about answering the question I asked? This post was edited by RosieG at June 6, 2017 4:17 AM MDT
      June 6, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

You know Rosie, Conservatives have said many of the same things over the years and have been demonized for it. Liberals get a pass because like Hillary breaking laws, we believe your hearts are in the right places. Your questions don't get answered because before the question is a statement that must be refuted. This post was edited by O-uknow at June 6, 2017 10:17 PM MDT
      June 6, 2017 10:13 PM MDT

Nobody is "born with" a high IQ. That comes later and is influenced by a great many external factors, nurture is one of them, and culture, and adaption, and ...
      June 6, 2017 5:54 AM MDT