Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Which book made you feel like you went to another place?

Which book made you feel like you went to another place?

;-0

Posted - June 24, 2016

Responses

I always get lost in Stephen King books. It's more than a little terrifying. 

June 24, 2016 10:59 PM MDT

I had to stop reading a Stephen King book because I got too "into it" and it freaked me out.

June 24, 2016 11:35 PM MDT

"The Plague Dogs"   

~ Richard Adams

June 29, 2016 6:59 PM MDT

well, as an 'older guy' I have to say I actually read ALL of Marcel Proust's "In Search of Lost Time'......

all SIX VOLUMEs of it.....and I loved it.

many say it's 'unreadable' as some of his sentences are almost 5 or 6 lines long......HOWEVER once you get into it, it's all just sheer beauty in writing...

one of my favorite passages that 'took me to another place' is when the main character describes the walks he took with his family every Sunday after dinner.....they had two different routes they liked to take...

so he describes each one.........now before you start to yawn,  remember, I generally DO NOT LIKE descriptions of 'nature'.......boring!!!.

But in Proust's hands, so to speak, it was magical.......I felt as if I was right there, walking along with them; feeling the sun on my face, hearing the birds, etc.

Oh I know this sounds AWFULLY corny, but it's very difficult to express the love you have for a work of literature to those who never read it or maybe just don't care.

ANYHOW,,,,,it took me a long time to finish it, but I loved it............

anyone else here ever finish it? I"d  like  to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 12, 2016 8:56 AM MDT

• Any good travelogue by Pico Iyer, Paul Theroux and Eric Newby.

July 29, 2016 1:35 PM MDT

• You've got me fired up for starting on it. Is an abridged version available? Whose translation did you read?

July 29, 2016 1:37 PM MDT

All of them. If I am absorbed, I am in the place where the author is describing.

That is why I read The Lord of the Rings one thousand times. I wanted to live there. 

July 31, 2016 11:20 PM MDT

Cool beans.  We have a rabid intellectual on here.  Loving Proust.  That is deep stuff. 

July 31, 2016 11:20 PM MDT