Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you ever get mistaken for someone else?

Do you ever get mistaken for someone else?

I am constantly having people coming up to me thinking they know me, when we've never met. This happens on an average of twice a month.  In the last year and a half, I've had 4 or 5 people ask me if I ever stayed at the women's mission. When I tell them I haven't they then say I look just like someone that either stayed there or worked there, I've heard both. I guess I must have a twin or two out there....

Posted - June 7, 2017

Responses

A few years ago that sort of thing was happening to me a bit. I'm probably lucky I never got shot or something. 
      June 7, 2017 6:40 PM MDT

• That's how I feel sometimes too. :)
      June 7, 2017 6:41 PM MDT

It has happened to me my entire life.  No matter where I am, people swear they know me.  Some get upset I don't admit I am who they think I am.  All I can say is that it is an incredibly frightening thought to think that there are a whole bunch of me(s) wandering around all over the place.
      June 7, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

• Same with me. I've had long conversations explaining to people that we have never met. I feel bad for the ones who look like me as well. :p
      June 7, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

All the time, all my life.   I look like or remind people of someone.  An aunt a friend or they just can't place why I look so familiar.  It is a gift from God actually.  I think before I die I will see fully why this happens.  I already know some but not all of the reasons. 
      June 7, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

• If you figure it out, please share with those of us this happens to. 
      June 7, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

• Not too often. I think in some ways I'm quite distinctive (whether that's bad or good I don't know) and people don't tend to mistake me for someone else. At the same time, I've had people confuse me with other half-Asian guys :P
      June 7, 2017 7:08 PM MDT

• When the movie Misery first came out it was happening all the time. I do kinda resemble Kathy Bates a little. We have the same eyes, and the same basic face shape. That could be where all this comes from, but now I'm being told I look like someone from the women's mission. 
      June 8, 2017 3:58 AM MDT

I get mistaken for my sister quite a bit because for some reason people think we're identical.
      June 7, 2017 7:27 PM MDT

• I take you are twins? :)
      June 8, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

We just look similar, people just don't seem to notice the slight differences.
      June 8, 2017 4:11 AM MDT

• Oh, ok. I have three sisters, and favor only one of them. I have a different dad than they do, so that's probably why we all don't favor more. 
      June 8, 2017 4:31 AM MDT

Yes, you see Karen, many Indians have long hair, so quite a few feel they recognize me when they see me from afar, but when they come near they realize I'm not that person they thought it was;))
      June 7, 2017 8:24 PM MDT

• I am not really distinctive in many ways, but I have a lot of strangers asking where they know me from. 
      June 8, 2017 4:02 AM MDT

• only once in middle school as a new kid/student, and boy were they disappointed that i wasn't Patti. the look on their face, after realizing they were mistaken, made me feel like i'd let them down, or that i'd been rejected somehow. like they'd be thrown out of their social circle if anyone had witnessed it. to be fair, Patti and i did look a lot alike. other than that i've had people say they've known someone who looked "just like me". it was probably Patti.

sounds like you have a real doppelganger out there. how mysterious and intriguing. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 11, 2017 4:38 AM MDT
      June 7, 2017 8:57 PM MDT

• I know, right? I'd love to meet the person(s) who look like me. 
      June 8, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

• "Yeah" ... some guy called "Mister T."  
        I don't even know the guy!

June 7, 2017 9:02 PM MDT

• LOL....You crack me up. :)
      June 8, 2017 4:04 AM MDT

People mistake me for Sophia Loren all the time. :)
      June 7, 2017 9:40 PM MDT

• I wish that's who they were mistaking me for...but no such luck. LOL!! 
      June 8, 2017 4:05 AM MDT

Funny you should ask.  That happened to me just today.  A lady I don't know walked up to me and asked if I still work at K-Mart.  I never worked there.
      June 7, 2017 10:38 PM MDT

• It's weird, huh? I get it at least twice a month. 
      June 8, 2017 4:06 AM MDT

Not that I recall and after reading all the responses, it's starting to worry me. If I don't look like anyone else, does that make me some kind of freak?
      June 8, 2017 4:58 AM MDT

• No it doesn't. It just means you don't have to waste a lot of time convincing a stranger that they don't know you. :)
      June 8, 2017 5:06 AM MDT