Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever been caught in the middle of a riot if so did it mess you up?

Have you ever been caught in the middle of a riot if so did it mess you up?

I'v been caught in the middle of 3 riots. Once during the Detroit riots in the 60's I was only 9 then but it gave me nightmares well into my teen years The second one was at the Battle in Seattle (WTO protest) it didn't mess me up mentally or physically but it sure came close to brown trowser time which would of been pretty embarrassing at the border crossing. The third time was at the Parksville riot of 93 compared to the other 2 riots it was a picnic no one got hurt and the cops had it under control in a half hour. Cheers!

Posted - July 18, 2016

Responses

I missed that in my life, thank the Lord. 

July 18, 2016 5:03 PM MDT

No.  I've only been caught in the middle of three major electrical blackouts in NY and it didn't scar me for life.

July 18, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

Only as a National Guard solder. So on the other end of the riot.

July 18, 2016 5:26 PM MDT

Be quit interesting to hear about the other end of a riot - were I had the option of running to safety you had to stand your ground so 3 cheers to you.

July 18, 2016 5:36 PM MDT

First of all there is no getting caught in the middle of a riot as if a riot is like an unexpected tornado whizzing in on you. 

There are plenty of SIGNS that keep the sane away from impending disaster.  OF course you were 9 and that excuses you totally.   You did not know.  I am an adult.  I am totally aware that there is danger out there and I am not about to place myself in the thick of a potential disaster.   I have never  been in a riot and unless the US is under severe out of control attack down here ( which could very well happen, yes) I am safe and sound.   If I even get a whiff of danger, I am gone. I am not going to be part of the problem when there is no solution.

July 18, 2016 5:40 PM MDT

July 18, 2016 6:48 PM MDT

Have you ever heard of a run-on sentence?

July 18, 2016 9:59 PM MDT

Tell that to the  1000's of other protesters that showed up for a peaceful and legal WTO protest in Seattle and found them self's in the middle of a riot in the blink of an eye then they found out there was no place to run because the cops had the streets blocked off.  

July 19, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

Hello N:

Yeah...  I came back from Vietnam a SUPPORTER of that war..  So, in 1968, I put my uniform on and went to an anti-war march in LA to HECKLE the marchers..  I brought a map.. I wanted them to SHOW me where Vietnam was.  I KNEW they couldn't..

So, there I was, ON the sidelines, map in hand, when the cops attacked.  They didn't CARE where I was standing..  They didn't CARE that I was in uniform..  They beat the shit out of EVERYBODY...  Did it mess me up??  NO..  It OPENED my eyes...

excon

July 19, 2016 8:16 AM MDT

Ya that WTO protest opened my eyes too - showed me New World Order was alive and well. I drink with a few veterans maybe we will get together some day and talk freely well we still can. Cheers!

July 19, 2016 8:34 AM MDT