Malizz
Shuhak
Echooos
Swoop62
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Election
Huw

Election

People -this is serious. My wife and I have been listening to the Republican convention. I just barely remember having heard some of Hitler's speeches as a young teenager, and I've always wondered how sane and decent Germans could have been persuaded by such hate-saturated ranting -but later I learned German, I've watched Nazi propaganda films, I've studied history, and frankly I am shocked by the parallels with tonight's obviously carefully planned performance.

We're going to renew our passports -soon. I strongly advise those of you who are in the LGBT community to do likewise. If you think I'm over-reacting, pay close attention to the rhetoric coming out of Cleveland and look into what the Nazis did to homosexuals. 

Posted - July 18, 2016

Responses

Overreacting much? No rhetoric about gay people is coming out of anywhere. Mr. Giuliani, in fact, spoke of unifying rather than dividing the nation. Are you actually listening or just hearing what you want or expect to hear based on your preconceived bias?

I don't support him, but if elected, Mr. Trump would be the first president with a child who is Jewish. Relax, take a chill pill, and don't go wishing for a Nazi redux. On the other hand, if you're really that paranoid and you believe that you can find a greater country to live in than the US, then leave, and don't let the door hit ya where nature split ya.
      July 18, 2016 8:39 PM MDT
  • Huw

Muslims and Mexicans are the new Jews. Don't say you haven't been warned.

July 18, 2016 8:46 PM MDT

OK. Enjoy your paranoia. Obviously you don't wish to be disabused of it.
      July 18, 2016 8:55 PM MDT

• The RNC and Trump specifically remind me of Hitler and the Nazi party for sure.  There are many similarities and Trump..Oh boy!  Even the ghost writer for the "Art of the Deal" said Trump will spell the end of civilization. Imagine that fool with his finger on the nuclear button. Wow!

I'm gay and I know damn well what his VP, Pence is up to. I'll stay and fight...

July 18, 2016 9:24 PM MDT
  • Huw

Good for you -but he who fights and (losing) runs away lives to fight another day. Be brave, do your duty -but keep open a line of retreat if you need it.

July 18, 2016 9:31 PM MDT

"Imagine that fool with his finger on the nuclear button." You do have a point there.

July 18, 2016 9:37 PM MDT
  • Huw

Yes. There may not be any place on Earth that is far enough to be safe.

July 18, 2016 9:46 PM MDT

Oh get over yourself and stop with the scare tactics.  If Mr. Trump scares you you should have already had a heart attack with Obama for a President and the thought of the Clinton mob taking over the White House. 

July 18, 2016 9:51 PM MDT

• I'm good at taking care of myself  ;)

July 18, 2016 9:57 PM MDT

• Precisely what I was referring too. He can NOT be allowed to become prez. 

I'm a Berniecrat and I am reluctantly voting for a woman I despise just to deny him the ability to kill us all

July 18, 2016 9:58 PM MDT
  • Huw

It's still -for the time being- a free country. But Germany was too -in early 1033.

July 18, 2016 9:59 PM MDT

It's not comparable to Germany/Hitler then. A more apt comparison is Mussolini.
      July 18, 2016 10:21 PM MDT

That's OK. Sanders was too much of a lefty to actually win a general election, and even if he did, he'd never be able to work with or get any legislation through Congress. He was a college kids' pipe dream a la Gene McCarthy, Henry Wallace et al.
      July 18, 2016 10:25 PM MDT

While some of the anti-LGBT rhetoric coming out of the GOP can be disconcerting, it's mostly the dying gasp of a (very vocal) minority that has already lost the issue.

Gay marriage is a legal reality in the United States, and it's unlikely anything short of a Constitutional amendment will overturn that reality (I suppose the SCOTUS *could* completely reverse itself, but I doubt it will).

There is a great deal of evidence indicating younger generations (Generation X and younger) simply do not fear LGBT people and do not wish to demonize them. Eventually the Angry White Bigots will die off, and the younger people coming up after them do not share their views.

Try to have a little faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bEVI5Kls_A

July 18, 2016 11:11 PM MDT
  • Huw

I think you're right about their attitudes. Unfortunately, there's also a great deal of evidence that "Gen X and younger" don't vote. I seriously hope to be proven wrong -but I'm scared.

July 19, 2016 7:15 AM MDT
  • Huw

I see the parallel with Gene McCarthy, Henry Wallace, etc. But like them, Sanders DID get young people involved. Let's hope they stay involved!

July 19, 2016 7:20 AM MDT
  • Huw

Both Fascists. But Hitler had the big guns -and now, we have them. But not we alone -China and North Korea and still Russia -and even Pakistan.

July 19, 2016 7:28 AM MDT

That would be great, but like McCarthy and Wallace, Sanders was not electable.
      July 19, 2016 8:40 AM MDT