Discussion » Questions » Communication » Silence is only golden if you lack knowledge. Cowards often hide behind it. Do you tell folks where you stand or are you afraid?

Silence is only golden if you lack knowledge. Cowards often hide behind it. Do you tell folks where you stand or are you afraid?

Of whom, what, why?

Posted - June 11, 2017

Responses

• Silence is only golden if you lack knowledge? True in some cases but as a whole no. 

Proverbs 17:27,28  "He that has knowledge spares his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.

28 Even a fool, when he holds his peace, is counted wise: and he that shuts his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

In other words, the man or woman of understanding knows when to keep his or her mouth shut. It is the wise person that knows when and where to stay silent because they know that the fool will eventually expose their lack of knowledge and understanding. It's also best to chose carefully your words when one does decide to speak.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    — ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

June 11, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

Very true.
    (Proverbs 10:19) When words are many, transgression cannot be avoided, But whoever controls his lips acts discreetly.

Jesus didn't always answer his accusers.
    (Matthew 26:60-63) But they found none, although many false witnesses came forward. Later two came forward 61 and said: “This man said, ‘I am able to throw down the temple of God and build it up in three days.’” 62 With that the high priest stood up and said to him: “Do you say nothing in reply? What is it these men are testifying against you?” 63 But Jesus kept silent. So the high priest said to him: “I put you under oath by the living God to tell us whether you are the Christ, the Son of God!”
    (Matthew 27:11-14) Jesus now stood before the governor, and the governor put the question to him: “Are you the King of the Jews?” Jesus replied: “You yourself say it.” 12 But while he was being accused by the chief priests and elders, he made no answer. 13 Then Pilate said to him: “Do you not hear how many things they are testifying against you?” 14 But he did not answer him, no, not a word, so that the governor was very surprised.
    (John 19:9) and he entered the governor’s residence again and said to Jesus: “Where are you from?” But Jesus gave him no answer.
      June 12, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful answer Hezekiah and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 13, 2017 3:09 AM MDT

• RosieG, hi. You have a happy and fulfilling day.
      June 13, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

Thank you m'dear and I wish the same for you and yours Hezekiah! :)
      June 15, 2017 3:27 AM MDT

You know there is never a rule where something is ALWAYS right and ALWAYS wrong.

You have to know when to speak.  You have to know when to keep silent.  It is called wisdom.   Knowing when either is to be applied.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 13, 2017 3:10 AM MDT
      June 11, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

Yep, you gotta know when to hold um and you gotta know when to fold um.
    I live by that rule.
      June 11, 2017 12:12 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shar.
      June 13, 2017 3:10 AM MDT

There is a time and place for everything.  It shows a lack of wisdom to hurl beliefs at anyone who will listen.  Conversation is a two way street otherwise you are just talking to yourself and hoping someone will comment on it. 
      June 11, 2017 11:37 AM MDT

I say what I think. ALWAYS. You can listen and remain silent/ignore or comment. I ask questions because that is why I am here. Whether they are answered or ignored matters not to me. What DOES matter is that I ask them. So you see what is true for you is not true for me Star. And so it goes. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday.
      June 13, 2017 3:12 AM MDT

Sometimes less is more.
      June 11, 2017 12:13 PM MDT

True Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 13, 2017 3:13 AM MDT

Good morning dear lady and have a great day.
      June 13, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

Right backatcha m'dear! Weatherwise we're in for HE** in Hemet, California the next 8 days! 100+ highs EVERY DAY! AARRGGHH! The good news is that our landlord replaced our ancient air conditioner several weeks ago so we have a spanking new one that we are told is more efficient so that our electric bills will be lower as well. How is that for good timing? I think someone is watching out for us Lulu'sMom! :)
      June 15, 2017 3:30 AM MDT

I just giggled. Why? Because my mom used to say "less is more".  One time in particular I remember her saying that and it had to do with blue cheese! I'm a Foodie my friend so I bring food into every discussion I can. I was putting some blue cheese on a cracker and I tend to pile it up high. I do that with many things. Cream cheese, peanut butter for instance. She saw it and said "less is more" meaning maybe I was overdoing it. I said something like "so you mean the less I put on the cracker the tastier it will be?" She said "yes". Then I said "so if don't put any on at all  it will taste heavenly?" She cracked up. I'm giggling now. Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom! I hope you giggled too. I'm sure wherever my mom is she is giggling right now! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 15, 2017 9:39 AM MDT
      June 15, 2017 3:35 AM MDT

LOL, yes that did make me giggle. The next time I make a P & j sandwich I will think of you.
      June 15, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

Silence can also be a defense tool. If you have a boss you don't trust and he says ugly things to you, it's best you don't say anything. It doesn't mean you agree with him, but that you have no comment. 
      June 11, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

If you want to keep your job you don't tell the boss he sucks. I see the value in that,. However it would be impossible for me to stay in such a situation. Not trusting your boss? There isn't enough money in the world to keep me working for someone whom I felt would stick a knife in my back. Thank you for your reply Marguerite and Happy Tuesday. I have always said what I think to supervisors. It never hurt me and actually helped at times. I guess I've been very lucky. I KNOW I've been very lucky. :)
      June 13, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

i tell them where i stand
      June 11, 2017 3:39 PM MDT