Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Ever hear of "Dry Drowning"? Apparently a water mishap can take days to kill you. How common is that?

Ever hear of "Dry Drowning"? Apparently a water mishap can take days to kill you. How common is that?

Posted - June 11, 2017

Responses

Until yesterday on the news I had never heard of it.
      June 11, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

Me too neither Ele. It kinda shocked me. Death delayed. Who knew? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 11, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

It can happen to adults, but it's more common in kids because of their small size, says Raymond Pitetti, MD, associate medical director of the emergency department at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

With dry drowning, water never reaches the lungs. Instead, breathing in water causes your child's vocal cords to spasm and close up after he's already left the pool, ocean, or lake. That shuts off his airways, making it hard to breathe.

Secondary drowning happens a little bit differently. Your child's airways open up, letting water into his lungs, where it builds up, causing a condition called pulmonary edema. The result is the same: trouble breathing.

Symptoms of dry drowning usually happen right after any incident in the water. Secondary drowning generally starts later, within 1-24 hours of the incident, Pitetti says.
      June 11, 2017 11:43 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful, helpful, useful and informative reply Shar. It shocked me to learn of it.  :(
      June 11, 2017 11:54 AM MDT

Well, then thank YOU for bringing it up because until now, I never even heard of it. 
      June 11, 2017 11:57 AM MDT

ive never heard of it
      June 11, 2017 3:33 PM MDT