Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you dare discover potential benefits to this six-minutes-long song?

Do you dare discover potential benefits to this six-minutes-long song?

The song just slays me in its simplicity, it calms me, and takes me away to a place that is good for me. Every time.
If you choose to listen, I hope you find some benefits.

Tanita Tikaram   "It All Came Back Today"

Posted - June 11, 2017

Responses

You're welcome. I thank you so much for giving it a listen, my friend. You point out very valid points about the song. Yes, her voice is very distinctive -- and I admit I've liked anything I've heard her sing. But I remember listening to this album/CD "The Sweet Keeper" for the first time. And this song stopped me in the midst of the album/CD. Breathlessly I somehow still breathed along with her as she sang. I've breathed along with her every time I've listened.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 11, 2017 7:29 PM MDT
      June 11, 2017 7:25 PM MDT

Hi, again, WingedWonder! I realized that I had a while ago asked another question about Tanita Tikaram and my favorite song she does. I got some input and I thought I'd ask you here since you have a heart for music.
    I'm going to paste the lyrics to the song and then post the official music video for the song (one of my very favorite music videos I've seen). My question "was/still is a bit" what is the meaning of the lyrics to this song? If you have the time to listen to the song and hear/read the lyrics, I'd be happy to hear your input. If not, no biggie! You already listened to this six-minutes long song! Ha! (This one below is not so long -- it's only five minutes, ha!)
    Or, feel free to look up my original question about the song, ha! I fear I'm going overboard.
    :)

"Twist in my Sobriety"     Tanita Tikaram

All God's children need traveling shoes
    Drive your problems from here
    All good people read good books
    Now your conscience is clear
    I hear you talk girl
    Now your conscience is clear

In the morning I wipe my brow
    Wipe the miles away
    I like to think I can be so willed
    And never do what you say
    I'll never hear you
    And never do what you say

Look my eyes are just holograms
    Look your love has drawn red from my hands
    From my hands you know you'll never be
    More than twist in my sobriety

We just poked a little empty pie
    For the fun people had at night
    Late at night don't need hostility
    Timid smile and pause to free

I don't care about their different thoughts
    Different thoughts are good for me
    Up in arms and chaste and whole
    All God's children took their toll

Cup of tea, take time to think, yea
    Time to risk a life, a life, a life
    Sweet and handsome
    Soft and porky
    You pig out 'til you've seen the light
    Pig out 'til you've seen the light

Half the people read the papers
    Read them good and well
    Pretty people, nervous people
    People have got to sell
    News you have to sell

Songwriters
    TANITA TIKARAM

Published by

Read more: Tanita Tikaram - Twist In My Sobriety Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

God, I love this video

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 12, 2017 2:23 PM MDT
      June 12, 2017 2:10 PM MDT

Very nice, Welby. A voice like Tracy Chapman. Thanks for sharing that.
      June 11, 2017 7:51 PM MDT

Thanks for listening, dragonfly46! And you're more than welcome for my sharing it.
    Yes, there is a Chapman-ish quality to Tikaram!

Hey, if you want, feel free to check out my comments to WingedWonder - - I asked another question about my favorite song by Tanita. Any input from you would be very welcomed.  Tanita's "Twist in my Sobriety" has haunted me a long time.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 13, 2017 11:48 AM MDT
      June 12, 2017 2:20 PM MDT

Wow! Really like Twist. I'll keep it around. Add it to my spotify account. Thanks, Welby for getting me on to some new music. Jaimie and I share music too. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
      June 13, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

I just listened to "Twist" again before I type this. I really like the song, too.

Interestingly, I think there must be some strict legalities regarding the  music video and song. There are several versions of the song posted on youtube that are shortened versions of the song. And as I watched the video here, I may be wrong, but I don't remember so many repeated images and reversed images in the video -- it seems as if someone may have used the entire song and then, for some reason, did not use the full music video and the person added repeated images, maybe to extend the video to full-length since maybe the original full-length video is not available. But, in any case, this video is made up of entirely of images from the original video.
    I like all the images but I really like the last image of the girl swinging out over the water, hanging on to a tree branch.

And I'll be right back - - right when I read about your asking for other music suggestions, a song came to my mind. I'm going to go look it up now.
      June 13, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

I'm back - - to me it's one of the best songs form the 1980's and one doesn't hear it very often.
    I like the group, too.
    Nice video to boot, too.
    Maybe you already know the song.

"We Are What We Are" by The Other Ones

June 13, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

Very cool. Completely forgot about this song. Thanks for the memory.
      June 13, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

This post was edited by dragonfly46 at June 13, 2017 12:42 PM MDT
      June 13, 2017 12:30 PM MDT

Welby the River video was for you. Im learning how to embed on my new computer
      June 13, 2017 12:32 PM MDT

Thanks, dragonfly46!
    I loved this song immediately, by the first three seconds! I've never heard it nor have I heard of Bishop Briggs.
    This video is nice, too! That quick series of images that seem to suggest she may have shot someone and the person is flaoting in a pool --  weird but it works.
      June 13, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

She is my favorite newish find. Here is jaimies favorite song from her.
      June 13, 2017 1:11 PM MDT

Hey, at the very end of the video is a quick image of that person with a sheet and painted face from the "River" video -- I like that!
    I first listened only to this song while I was doing dishes and I came back to listen again while watching the video. I liked the song better the second time I heard it. I like this singer. I like "River" better than this song but both are very good to me.
    Now while I'm thinking of it, I'm going to post another video - - I bet you've heard of her. I had not until someone recommended I watch/listen.
      June 13, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

"The Killing Type" by Amanda Palmer and The Grant Theft Orchestra

I posted a question a while back about this video -- if you can, please watch the video while you listen, if you haven't heard the song before. The song-and-video together completely blow me away. The "mature audience advisory" is valid to my way of thinking!
    And the guys in the band are cute, ha!

Oh, I like how Palmer sings and on the strength of this song I bought the CD/album it comes from - - Amanda Palmer and The Grand Theft Orchestra "Theatre Is Evil." I like the entire album.
    I should add that the video is disturbing.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 13, 2017 1:50 PM MDT
      June 13, 2017 1:44 PM MDT