Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » As if dodging enemy bullets weren't bad enough the US government used to provide soldiers with cigarettes..death sticks. Do they still?

As if dodging enemy bullets weren't bad enough the US government used to provide soldiers with cigarettes..death sticks. Do they still?

Posted - June 12, 2017

Responses

• I'm not a combat veteran so my comment is that of an outsider.  For the soldier in combat, facing death at any moment,  the ill effects of cigarettes are likely to be of no pressing concern.  And many smokers claim smoking calms one, a much need solace in such a situation.
      June 12, 2017 11:56 AM MDT

I'm not a smoker whistle so I am unaware that smoking calms one down. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      June 12, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

I used to cashier at Wal-Mart.  (I lasted 3 months LOL)

Anyway to my surprise, the clients who went through the line were almost always very nice.  I was shocked.

Very nice.

Except? 

When I had to work the cigarette line.  Those people were a different breed.  Their skin was grey-brown, their teeth were dark, they had black circles under their eyes and they were ill-tempered and cranky.

Almost half of them fit this description.

So, the CALMING is only when they spent their paycheck to pay for a carton and smoke their tarred brains out.  Very soothing if you are mentally stilted.

June 12, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

• I have worked in a lot of food service jobs and have directly observed cooks, very angry and agitated, go for a smoke and return very changed.  My only experience with tobacco is nasal stuff.  Nicotine does effect one.
      June 12, 2017 2:07 PM MDT

I don't believe the military supplies cigarettes to soldiers.
      June 12, 2017 11:57 AM MDT

In World War 2 they did. The cigarettes were part of the rations given to each soldier I'm told by those who were there. This post was edited by RosieG at June 12, 2017 1:27 PM MDT
      June 12, 2017 12:12 PM MDT

Yes, back in WWII and before, that was the case, but the military decided not to encourage such a bad habit.  Happy Monday. :)
      June 12, 2017 1:27 PM MDT

• That was before every one knew what smoking causes. They were fighting a war and seeing their brothers shot down all around them, complaining about them smoking seems a little out there to me. 
      June 12, 2017 12:17 PM MDT

I don't think it was intentionally anything bad.  That was borne out of ignorance that the whole world bought into back then.  

I am sure they don't offer cigarettes any longer.  That would be very bad publicity. 

June 12, 2017 12:23 PM MDT

Too sad that a country in its ignorance would provide the soldiers with a deadly substance.
      June 13, 2017 12:01 AM MDT