Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » You can't get something from nothing. Or so we are told. There always has to be a preceding something. An infinite limitless infinity?

You can't get something from nothing. Or so we are told. There always has to be a preceding something. An infinite limitless infinity?

If there were nothing in the beginning and something suddenly came from it then we did get something from nothing. What existed before THE BIG  BANG? And before that and before that and before that?

Posted - June 13, 2017

Responses

I expect the BIG Bang may have been a singularity, which may render the concept of before it invalid.  
      June 13, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Malizz. Before. During. After. You have to scramble an egg BEFORE you get scrambled eggs which you then cook which is the During and finally eat which is the After. Scrambled eggs appearing on the scene without a before to explain them? Can you process such a concept as that? If so  congratulations. I cannot. Happy Thursday! :)
      June 15, 2017 5:21 AM MDT

If I could answer that (before big bang) I would be a famous scientist writing books and making money)
    By the way, before Big Bang there wasn't any nothing. The nothing came into existence with the somethings during Big Bang.  And the Universe is not infinite in size, but is increasing in size at this moment. And as it increases in size, more nothing comes into existence... So we are getting something for nothing, that something being the nothing which increases.  :) (scratching your head yet??) This post was edited by Maurice214 at June 15, 2017 5:14 AM MDT
      June 13, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

No Maurice. I'm not scratching my head yet. I'm the one who asked the question, remember? Something from nothing or nothing from something. Take your pick. Each has endless infinities/permutations/iterations/possibilities ahead which is my cuppa tea. I like to frolic about there..especially the there there that is nowhere or somewhere or anywhere as the case may be unto infinity. I'm not a fan of limits unless they are self-imposed! :) Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      June 15, 2017 5:18 AM MDT

Aristotle argued that there is an uncaused cause; he would disagree with your assumption.
      June 15, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

Everything has a cause and effect. Nothing occurs without something preceding it. I don't care what Aristotle said tj. That is not logical. Now if he is talking about a different world than the one we have with different rules controlling it than I can't speak to that. But in this world physics rules.  Cause and effect. An uncaused cause? Seriously? I don't think so. Thank you for your reply! 
      June 19, 2017 4:57 AM MDT

thats true
      June 15, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

Correct.
    Something does not come from nothing. 
    Life does not come from nonlife.
    Order does not come from chaos.
      June 19, 2017 7:03 AM MDT