Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would living in a POLICE STATE make us safer or more at risk? What exactly is a Police State?

Would living in a POLICE STATE make us safer or more at risk? What exactly is a Police State?

Posted - June 14, 2017

Responses

Surely you have paid attention to what has happened in the world during your lifetime, to history?  North Korea, China, the USSR, Nazi Germany, East Germany?  Have you never read Bradbury, Huxley, or Orwell?  Never watched movies like Soylent Green, Demolition Man, or the Hunger Games?  And there are many more examples of each. You cannot have spent your entire life obsessed with Trump.
      June 14, 2017 12:45 PM MDT

• RosieG.

Definition of a police state-----"a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures."

Nazism, Fascism, Communism, Dictatorships, all police state scenarios. So in light of what a police state is, it would make us much more at risk because the "secret police" (Nazi SS, etc) could and would shoot you down where you stand anytime they pleased for any reason they could conjure up that they felt was a danger to their barbaric and repressive regime. It's very unfortunate though that there are people in America now, from all walks of life, that would love nothing more than to have a Police State. They, with a passion, hate this country, the President, and this country's Constitutional form of government. Why? 

June 14, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

I sure appreciate this answer Hezekiah. You went out of your way to provide a very thoughtful, useful, helpful and informative answer for which I thank you. As for your question about why the United States is so hated? I guess there are as many reasons as there are haters. I believe we are far more hated now than we ever were before and I believe it is BECAUSE of the choice citizens made in the election.  Any shred of decency/credibility/honor we used to enjoy is gone. After the current person who holds the title of prez is long gone will we ever get it back? I don't know. I hope so. Meanwhile we watch and wait and hope that better days are just around the corner! :)
      June 15, 2017 3:23 AM MDT

• It's because their party didn't win and they just can't accept it. They are the ones dragging this country down, not the current administration. They are doing everything they can to cause separation in this country. I've always heard, "Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it." I think this rings true right now.  
      June 15, 2017 4:26 AM MDT

• Karen,  I agree that there are many who just can't except the fact that Trump is President. And because those many people can't accept that Trump is President, there will always be a few of those many that will continue to insight riots where cars and buildings are set on fire and people are beaten up and injured, carry out protests that turn violent where people are hurt, and violence that stems from a deep hatred for someone in particular or anyone in general that doesn't agree with them. Case in point, the gunman that opened fire on Republican members of a charity baseball team. I also agree with you that they are trying to divide this country and because of that it may very well turn into another Civil War if something isn't done to put out the fire. You're correct, it does ring true right now.
      June 15, 2017 11:44 AM MDT

• Thank you. I always thought the Liberals were peaceful, give everyone a chance type people. From what I'm seeing now, that is the polar opposite. If the DEM candidate had won, I doubt very seriously tha t the Republicans would be acting the same way. It's scary what this country has been turned into.
      June 15, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

• Karen, I'm a Constitutional Conservative and all the Republicans and Conservatives I knew and know never acted and don't act the way the Liberals are acting now.  It not only deeply saddens me but I am appalled at the violence and hatred manifesting itself on the city and rural streets of this country and against the police who patrol those streets to help keep us safe. Yes it is scary what this country has has been turned into.
      June 15, 2017 9:28 PM MDT

• All my life I've been middle of the road when it came to politics. I've been neither Democrat nor Republican, I voted person and not party. Now, I think I've finally made a choice on how I will vote from here on out. Like you, I am appalled at the violence and craziness. I don't think they understand what consequences could be involved with their actions. They think they are standing up for their country, but they are  leading it down a dangerous path. 
      June 16, 2017 3:05 AM MDT

• Karen, I too was always a person voter not party voter. Although I am still neither Republican or Democrat I am a Conservative in my political thinking and private life. What I find interesting is that the United States Constitution was hammered out by people who didn't always agree with each. But they all looked at what was right for this country as a whole and not what was right for themselves as individuals. The same laws pertain to everyone. Something you don't see a whole lot today. That said, what I do see happening now is that the rotten fruit is being found and removed. The corruption and hatred in our political system run deeps but since the election of President Trump, this corruption and hatred is surfacing and is finally being dealt with, with investigations, firings and resignations. Something that should have happened in the previous administrations. The corrupt politicians and the corrupt people who follow the corrupt politicians hate it with a passion and their violence in the streets prove that. Then the violent people in the streets are being arrested too which is a good thing. The laws are finally being upheld. I apologize for some what repeating myself here but this message needs to keep getting out. Not because I'm saying it but because the fate of this country is in the balance. 
      June 16, 2017 9:49 AM MDT

The balance was tipped too far when Trump was elected.

The president of the hen house should at least be a hen.  

Instead, a fox (who was actually recognized as such by the majority of those who voted in the presidential election) managed to fool the minority.

Pardon the hens who do not sleep soundly at night anymore.
      June 16, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

• tom jackson, the balance was tipped too far when Trump was elected. In what direction was it tipped? Away from the Liberal Left? If that's the case, I'm all for it. If the balance was tipped towards We the People and back towards our Constitutional form of government, then I'm all for that as well. We just need to keep draining the swamp and giving the government back to it's rightful owners, the citizens of the United States of America. It's the citizens and "not" the politicians that make this country great. Something that some Republican politicians have forgotten and most Democratic politicians have forgotten.
      June 16, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

depends on what was going on in that state
      June 15, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

Many civil liberties that people enjoy in countries such as the u.s.a., are denied in police states. Freedom of speech and expression is a privilege many take for granted. In a police state the freedom to enjoy talking to others about my beliefs would be somewhat hindered. I appreciate this about this country. It isn't perfect, but life could be so much harder. 
      June 15, 2017 11:28 PM MDT

• Autumleaves, I agree. Many of our freedoms are taken for granted and/or twisted to mean something they were never meant to mean. These self-named so-called peaceful protesters need to stop and smell the coffee because a police state and martial law is something they don't want.
      June 16, 2017 9:57 AM MDT