Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you like to control all the information that offends you? Block the not-so-hot so you would only have to process the good stuff? Why?

Would you like to control all the information that offends you? Block the not-so-hot so you would only have to process the good stuff? Why?

Posted - June 14, 2017

Responses

A perfect example of that is on the daytime program "The View."  It is the most biased, close minded bunch of people I've seen for a while. They get offended if anyone dares disagree with anyone of them.
    I was flipping channels and ran across Newt Gingrich.  He was on the view being "interviewed."
    Far from a real interview, they were all giving their opinion and looking for him to agree with it.
     Newt disagreed several times and was like a feeding frenzy around him. They were trying to make him say something that was in agreement with them. A few times all he could do was laugh at their nonsense.  "The View" people feed off each others hatred for Trump and it has become more like a sickness than an opinion.  They take it all the way out there to la la land of fake news and fantasy stories.  
      June 14, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

• all political views (ha... punny) aside, "The View" has got to be the most annoying daytime television show... ever! i haven't seen it in years and years, but i remember wanting to throw the remote through the television for the way they all talk over each other, never mind whatever they were saying. oh, lawd... i hate it when i get stuck in a waiting room with that BS on the high-mounted wall-telly. i will definitely ask to change the channel, or better yet, turn the entire torture-machine off. that show, though, ugh... why people enjoy watching/listening to pointless vitriol, i'll never understand.
      June 14, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

I think that's true of many shows Star. Rush Limbaugh for example. Or Alex Jones. They thrive on being biased and attracting audiences of like-minded people who adore them PRECISELY BECAUSE they are biased/closed-minded/ultra Conservative. So you don't really expect ultra Liberal folks to be any better do you? Now I don't watch The View.  I'm also not a fan of Rushbaugh or Jones or Ann Coulter or Dr. Laura or Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly etcetera and so forth so I don't watch/listen to them either. You like those who agree with you. Who doesn't feel that way? I betcha you don't like Rachel Maddow or Lawrence O'Donnell or Chris Hayes or Chris Matthews. The View is nothing more than the folks who perform and tune in. They are all alike. Only the ideology is different. Everything else is identical.Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday. The Newt is supposedly a very smart guy. He isn't my cuppa tea but so what, right? You can't expect left wingers to be any more accepting of right wing ideology than right wingers are accepting of left wing ideology. :)
      June 15, 2017 2:38 AM MDT

Nope.  Imprisoning one's mind in an echo chamber doesn't change reality.  
      June 14, 2017 12:57 PM MDT

• RosieG, no, I wouldn't want to block anything. Part of life is daily dealing with the good, the bad, and the indifferent. Dealing with it all helps the individual to mature, learn, and eventually make the common sense decisions on what is right and wrong.
      June 14, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

Intellectually I agree with you.  But ideally/.emotionally I don't.  I have control over the movies I see. I avoid the scary ones/the bloody ones/the dumb&dumber ones. I don't  get on roller coasters because I have a fear of heights and I don't like to be scared. I have the ability to CHOOSE and I choose what pleases me and avoid that which doesn't.  There are things I know I wish I didn't. Knowing them did not enhance/improve my life at all. They just hurt me. Not knowing them would have given me a peace of mind I can never get back again. So it is with that in mind that I asked the question. Some things hurt more than one can bear. But we bear them and go on. However they changed us/damaged us and will stay with us. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Hezekiah and Happy Thursday! :)
      June 15, 2017 2:44 AM MDT

• RosieG,  my response to your question was based on the events that happen to us we have no control over. I guess I should have clarified myself. Although some of the uncontrollable events nearly broke me, I wouldn't want to change those events in any way because they made me much stronger, more resolved, more aware, and able to enjoy the life I now have much more. I'm with you on the roller coasters. I won't step foot on one either. I too choose carefully what movies I watch. I haven't been to a movie theater in many years. The ones I do watch are usually the older ones like laurel&Hardy, Sherlok Holmes, Westerns, etc. I have little to no use for modern movies. I also choose carefully what music I listen too. Smooth jazz, Big Band, etc. You have a great day. 
      June 15, 2017 11:02 AM MDT

I like jazz and classical music. Well you and I differ. There are some things I learned I could have done without and I would have been the better for it. Different strokes. Thank you for your clarifying reply Hezekiah and Happy Saturday! :)
      June 17, 2017 5:36 AM MDT

• I would not dream of doing something like that. Learning to deal with what offends you builds character, at If least, in some. If you can deal with offensive material in an adult way, then you have matured into a decent person. If you deal with what offends you by throwing fits and acting like a big baby, you have't learned a thing in life, and probably never will.
      June 14, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

I know some things I wish I didn't. They hurt me badly and did nothing to improve my life, make me a better person or give me peace. It is with that in mind I asked the question. Now you assume much that is not in evidence. You bring in things like "throwing fits and acting like big baby". Where did that come from? If you are honest (I don't know you at all so I have no idea if you are or you aren't) you will admit that you must have experienced things that have hurt you that did not help you that you wish had never happened. If not then you must be very young and are still wet behind the ears and do not know what of you speak. Either way thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday. Try not assuming.  It nullifies much of what you say.
      June 15, 2017 2:48 AM MDT

• 1. You question my honesty
    2. You called me stupid
    3. You assumed this was directed at you.
    4. You dismiss my answer because it doesn't fit in your box
     I speak from experience, I am 46, hardly still wet behind the ears, as you put it. Throwing fits and acting like big babies are things I've seen from family and friends. I had a friend who lost everything in a house fire. She pulled herself up by her bootstraps and rebuilt her life. I have a cousin who cries hysterically over the least little thing. She had a flat tire one morning and you would have thought Armageddon had happened. I've had bad things happen to me, but I don't let the bad things define who I am. I don't appreciate the way you talked to me either. 
      June 15, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

Okey dokey. Happy Saturday to thee W C.
      June 17, 2017 5:37 AM MDT

If blocking it could actually make it go away, I might consider it.  Otherwise, I prefer to deal with reality as it exists.
      June 14, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

Not knowing something that only harms/hurts and doesn't edify/enhance is no loss to me.  Not knowing can preserve peace of mind that once lost can never be attained again. I want to know all there is to know if in the knowing it is helpful, useful, substantive and meaningful. I don't want to know anything that is merely hurtful. I find no value in that at all. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Thursday! :)
      June 15, 2017 2:51 AM MDT

I know someone who blocks opinions that differ for theirs.  I'll bet you do as well. 
      June 14, 2017 3:11 PM MDT

Two answers? My oh my. Why? You COULD HAVE edited your other answer to include this teaser but you chose not to do so. Hmmm. This post was edited by RosieG at June 15, 2017 2:53 AM MDT
      June 15, 2017 2:52 AM MDT

• LOL!!
      June 15, 2017 1:16 PM MDT

• i'm interested in reading/hearing all opinions, both here and in 3D life. however, i do find it necessary to block all news and adverts when i'm trying to enjoy music or other forms of entertainment (movies, shows, documentaries, standup comedy), because the news isn't good, and the adverts work on lowering self-esteem. i need to relax, sometimes, ya know? i have thousands of songs on three devices, and i stream everything i watch. i absolutely despise cable television and all radio stations, with the exception of NPR. i take a break from reality. i think it's healthy. despite controlling when and how i get my news, and seeing adverts in stores and on the road, i am informed enough to know what's going on and i still buy the products i need/want in my life.
      June 14, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

I asked the question because there are some things I know I wish I didn't. They only hurt and did not help at all. So of what use are they to me substantively moving forward in my life? They aren't yet there they are in my memory. We often escape to the History Channel or Science Channel or Turner Classic Movies where there are no commercials and also no "breaking news". You need a place to get away where you are safe and protected and left alone. Being assailed 24/7 with news of the world today is very dispiriting and depressing. Thank you for your reply little queen and Happy Thursday! :)
      June 15, 2017 2:56 AM MDT

• we all know stuff we wish we didn't. that list just grows as we age, until we (blissfully?) begin to forget many details. not all things are worth remembering, imo. lol... i'm all full up on bad news, though. yes, we definitely need a place to get away and be safe and protected and left alone. it's essential to good mental health! y'all have some great avenues of escape there. i don't really enjoy The History Channel or Turner Classics, but i do dig The Science Channel. i just don't have a television in my room anymore, so i stream a lot of NOVA when i need some science. NPR is good too, for getting world and national news.

happy Thursday, RosieG! =)
      June 15, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

Blocking things, or hiding from them, just does more harm than good. You end up with a false impression of what the world is really like.
      June 15, 2017 6:06 AM MDT

• No...Going through life with blinders on is no way to live. Just like the old song says, You take the good, you take the bad......
      June 15, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

• ...you take them both, and there you have the facts of life.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 15, 2017 5:53 PM MDT
      June 15, 2017 1:35 PM MDT

• That pretty much sums it all up. :)
      June 15, 2017 5:54 PM MDT