Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "As a person of faith we are called to love people". Are you a person of faith? Do you love or hate? Why?

"As a person of faith we are called to love people". Are you a person of faith? Do you love or hate? Why?

Posted - June 15, 2017

Responses

• One needs no faith to love.  And faith is too often the source of hate and violence.  Consider the burning of a "witch" or heretic was an auto de fay, an act of faith.  Jim jones was a man of faith.  Today's Muslim terrorist act by faith.
      June 15, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

Touche whistle! But you know what? I expect those who are religious to be better than the rest of us. By that I mean those who really try to live by the tenets of their religions. I am always shocked with the religious right(for example) who promulgate hate via things like Breitbart and white nationalism. It deeply bothers me. I know people are all human and imperfect even those who are religious. I know that many non-believers are far BETTER people than some so-called religious faithful. Still I have that expectation. Thank you for your reply! :) FYI I believe in God but I am not a religious person. I don't go to church. Used to teach Sunday School years ago but once I discovered that all of that got in the way I let them all go. So I don't count myself among those who are deeply religious because there is so much baggage that goes along with that which I dropped decades ago. Just wanted you to know if you didn't already! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 15, 2017 7:41 AM MDT
      June 15, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

It depends on the circumstances, it is very difficult to love murderers, rapists, and child abusers.  It is very difficult for me to love my nightmare alcoholic neighbour and friends who do not give two hoots about anyone in our little community, do not want to get sober, and are set on making everyone's life a misery.  So in conclusion, although I feel that hatred just destroys the hater, there are a few people in this world that if they disappeared would not be missed and would make other peoples lives a lot easier.  I think this way of thinking applies to most people regardless of faith. This post was edited by Pepper Pot at June 15, 2017 11:38 AM MDT
      June 15, 2017 11:37 AM MDT

i try to love people , i try not to hate them
      June 15, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

I am a person of faith, but I don't love others who try to use their faith to intimidate others.
      June 15, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

• I am a man of faith and I both love and hate. I "love" people but I also "hate" the appalling sins committed by those same people, which includes myself.
      June 17, 2017 8:38 PM MDT