Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » History » How does one go about finding out the history of a building?

How does one go about finding out the history of a building?

A friend of mine has a historic home (built in the 1920s) and I'm interested to know what it originally looked like. It has been remodeled and has some obscure additions that don't make any sense by modern standards. Lots of windows were left inside the home. You have to walk through a bathroom or another bedroom to get to the master bedroom. I'm pretty sure it was built with no plumbing and for sure before AC. The kitchen is not even big enough for a standard oven- the oven sits inside what appears to be an add-on to the home. Either that or they carved out part of the kitchen to add a bathroom after people started getting plumbing. (The bathroom has a window that overlooks the oven's nook. lol) Weirdest yet, all the bedrooms are connected. One bathroom has no door and looks like it never did, but there used to be a closable door between the living room and kitchen. I can tell they've repurposed every single room over the years, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the original builder intended when the home was built. It's driving me mad.

Is it likely there are original blueprints or photos of the home somewhere? I have looked online, but there's nothing listed.

Posted - June 16, 2017

Responses

• Most towns have a historic society or a section of the library dedicated to local history.
      June 16, 2017 7:41 AM MDT

In New York, we have a Landmark Commission.  If the building has been declared a landmark, any work done on it must first  be approved by the Commission.  The building must be kept as close to its original state as possible.
      June 16, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

We have something similar here, but the home isn't a landmark or a designated historical building.
      June 16, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

There must have had to be permission for the building and it's renovations filed with some town or county bureau.
      June 16, 2017 9:34 PM MDT

Go to the court house and do a title search to find out all owners since it was built. You may be able to find architectural drawings too.

That is how you start.  You'll have to try to find out about owners and their descendants and contact them to look for old pictures.  It will be fun once you get started.  Our first house was built around 1905.  The lady next door was born in her house; she lived there her whole life.  We were able to know about the whole neighborhood since the houses were built..........including dirt "highways" and horse/carriages parked out front.  The library and newspaper office may be able to help too. 

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 18, 2017 3:39 PM MDT
      June 16, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

That's cool.
    I see the prior owner sometimes and she grew up in the house. I may start by asking her, but I don't want to be intrusive.
      June 16, 2017 5:45 PM MDT

She'll be flattered that you want to know. 
      June 17, 2017 12:48 AM MDT

One of the things I admire most about American houses, well the wooden ones mainly, is that they are endlessly adaptable.. you can stick extensions on left, right and centre..  It's harder to do that with our houses... and we have building regs that mean that whatever we do has to comply with safety regs...

In the UK it's generally easier to track houses via deeds and land registry and the local building regs dept of the councils.
      June 16, 2017 12:37 PM MDT

We have building regulations as well, but I'm pretty sure most of the changes made to this house were done before the codes were written. Also, here in AZ, the older homes are generally block/ brick construction. I'd venture to guess that's why they left windows intact and just built extra rooms around them, instead of removing the window and fixing the wall.
      June 16, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

JA, you & your friend should go to the town or city clerk's office.  If your friend has their tax bill, there should be a map, lot, section number that you can give to the clerk to look up the information on the building.  If you live in a large city, they should have a building & planning department, and that would be where the information will be located.  Whether it is in the town/city clerk's office or the building dept office, all the information including original blueprints, building plans, additions, original builder,  should be on file.  FYI, many times the original plans go missing or where never filed properly.  Also, please be aware there is usually a fee charged to obtain copies.  If you are simply looking for photographs, do what Whistle 6 suggests and go to the local historical society.   
      June 16, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

My friend isn't as curious as me. lol I'm the one walking from room to room, looking at the seams and pondering what belonged where. To me, it's a puzzle that hasn't been put together right. My friend couldn't care less. I will play around some and see what I can find on my own. Thanks! :)
      June 16, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

You're welcome. BTW, usually all that stuff is part of the public record so, even though you don't have the map & lot numbers, you have the address.  You could go to the building department and inquire as to what they have on file.  
      June 16, 2017 6:26 PM MDT

maybe someone in her family would know
      June 18, 2017 3:33 PM MDT