Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » Why is "bastard" an insult?

Why is "bastard" an insult?

Jesus was one. Joseph wasn't His father.

Posted - June 26, 2017

Responses

Jesus wasn't one, God was his dad.  'member?

June 26, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

God wasn't married to Mary, so Jesus was quite definitely one.
      June 26, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

How do YOU know? 

I distinctly read in the Orange Catholic Bible, Ch 4:vs 111, that God asked her to be His 1,0000,00000,0000 x 1,000 wife.

It's right there.  Go look.
      June 26, 2017 8:52 PM MDT

cause its rude
      June 26, 2017 8:57 PM MDT

This reminds me of how absolutely ridiculous it is for a mother to call her son a SOB.... something I have witnessed a woman do without any realization of what she's saying. It's become a running joke between me and my son. 
      June 26, 2017 9:02 PM MDT

• Non sequitur.
      June 26, 2017 9:04 PM MDT

Love Child, never meant to be,
    Love Child, born in poverty,
    Love Child, never meant to be,
    Love Child, take a look at me.
    I started my life in an old, cold, rundown tenement slum.
    My father left, he never even married Mom.
    I shared the guilt my mama knew,
    So afraid that others knew I had no name.

She also uses the terms "second best" and "different from the rest." Society is letting go of it, but being born out of wedlock really did make you a second-class citizen. It almost always meant you'd be fatherless and live in poverty. Goodbye future. Your parents were lesser for not having waited for marriage. Ergo, you were as well.

It is still an insult today, but a mild one. I call my son a bastard all the time, and he throws it back at me. It's all in jest though. Ooh... there's the other thing- broken families create more broken families. You're not just damning your child to a life of poverty when you create a child out of wedlock- you're likely creating a chain that future generations will follow. (Thanks, Mom and Dad! The gift that keeps on giving!) Again, to a much lesser degree nowadays, but the stigma is still there.
      June 26, 2017 10:15 PM MDT