Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » We have a son/daughter-in-law who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are good people. I see JW's being attacked here. Why?

We have a son/daughter-in-law who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are good people. I see JW's being attacked here. Why?

Posted - June 30, 2017

Responses

• My best college friend is from Japan, and some of her friends and relatives were on it also. What was your username? I was TovarichZhopa. 
      August 3, 2017 2:01 PM MDT

Same, texasescimo
      August 3, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

• Is there any reason to attack  a belief or religion? Better yet, did Jesus attack anyone's belief system? Yes He did. He gave the hypocritical Pharisees and Sadducees fits on a regular basis. Why did He do that? The Pharisees according to the Bible were more than just the average hypocrite. They had replaced the Word of GOD with their traditions. They were haughty and arrogant about their own righteousness.  They would put it on display only for the sake of publicity and not for the glory of God.  That is typical for anybody who believes in works salvation-

They placed importance of themselves above others because they were righteous in their own eyes. They were deceiving and being deceived in teaching their own self-righteous doctrine of works salvation.  Everything for them was they had the "holier than thou" doctrine which they thought they were better than everyone.  Nobody who teaches works salvation has the right to criticize them. Now if the Jehovah Witness religion is as the Pharisees were then they should be called out as Jesus called out the Pharisees. What does the Bible have to say about what the Jehovah Witnesses believe and teach?

July 13, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

Wow! You've just described Jehovah's Witnesses to the tee.
    ~ They had replaced the Word of GOD with Jehovah, as in their traditions.
    ~They were haughty and arrogant about their own righteousness.  The Witnesses of Jehovah conceive it to be their first duty to denounce all other religious bodies.
    ~ They put themselves on display, in public places, only for the sake of publicity and glorify Watchtower material and not for the glory of God. 
    ~ Yes, they place importance of themselves above others because they are righteous in their own eyes. They complain that
    they are persecuted for their religious beliefs, quite inconsistently with their denial that their system
    constitutes a religion.
    ~ They deceiving others using Awake and are being deceived by the WBTS in teaching their own self-righteous doctrine of works salvation. 
    ~ Everything for them is they have the "holier than thou" doctrine which they think they are better than everyone, but are only full of themselves.  
    ~ Nobody who teaches works salvation has the right to criticize other religions.
    ~ What the Bible has to say about what the Jehovah Witnesses believe and teachings is how they they will follow their own desires and look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear. They will reject the truth and follow strange myths. Time is the Watchtower Society's worst enemy. The progression of time uncovers the truth concealed by false teachings and erroneous
    doctrines fabricated by Watchtower leaders. In the efforts to prevent loyal followers from leaving this multi-billion dollar sales corporation,
    the Society is forced to dig deep into their bag of tricks to conceal their mistakes and never ending contradictions.
    2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder,
    for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness.
    Their end will correspond to their deeds.
    Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned;
    and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive
    the hearts of the simple.
    Matthew 7:15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruit.
    Deuteronomy 18:21 You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’ 22 When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.
    2 Timothy 3:6 For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7 always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.
    2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
    1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    Galatians 1:6-9 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

The Watchtower admits Bible scholars know better.
    "Yes, many Bible scholars acknowledge that “Yahweh” more nearly represents the Hebrew pronunciation of the Divine Name" (WT,[3] July 15, 1964, p. 423).
      July 13, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

[Yes, many Bible scholars acknowledge that “Yahweh” more nearly represents the Hebrew pronunciation of the Divine Name" (WT,[3] July 15, 1964, p. 423).] 

You do know that everyone in this thread is using English, not Hebrew, right? Do you have a problem with using the English Jesus when in Hebrew it would be something like Yeshua or Yeheshua? If Catholics think that only the Hebrew for of the name 'Yahweh' should be used, why do they replace with titles like LORD and GOD?

Since you are Catholic, I will use a few Catholic sources for your benefit.
    https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08329a.htm

Jehovah (Yahweh)

The proper name of God in the Old Testament;

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08374x.htm

Jesus

The word Jesus is the Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which in turn is the transliteration of the Hebrew Jeshua, or Joshua, or again Jehoshua, meaning "Jehovah is salvation." 

https://www.unamsanctamcatholicam.com/liturgy/liturgical-quod-libets/95-liturgy/liturgical-quod-libets/288-yahweh-in-the-liturgy.html
    https://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0804119.htm 
    HYMNS-YAHWEH Aug-12-2008 (840 words) xxxn
    No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses, Vatican rules
    By Nancy Frazier O'Brien
    Catholic News Service
    WASHINGTON (CNS) -- In the not-too-distant future, songs such as "You Are Near," "I Will Bless Yahweh" and "Rise, O Yahweh" will no longer be part of the Catholic worship experience in the United States.
    At the very least, the songs will be edited to remove the word "Yahweh" -- a name of God that the Vatican has ruled must not "be used or pronounced" in songs and prayers during Catholic Masses.

The Tetragrammaton is YHWH, the four consonants of the ancient Hebrew name for God.
    "As an expression of the infinite greatness and majesty of God, it was held to be unpronounceable and hence was replaced during the reading of sacred Scripture by means of the use of an alternate name: 'Adonai,' which means 'Lord,'" the Vatican letter said. Similarly, Greek translations of the Bible used the word "Kyrios" and Latin scholars translated it to "Dominus"; both also mean Lord.

July 14, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08329a.htm

Jehovah (Yahweh)

The proper name of God in the Old Testament;

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08374x.htm
    Jesus
    The word Jesus is the Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which in turn is the transliteration of the Hebrew Jeshua, or Joshua, or again Jehoshua, meaning "Jehovah is salvation."
      July 14, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

You nailed it antibiotic.
    The governing body where they get their information from admits that they are not inspired so when they get things wrong they have to correct it by calling it new light.
    They have had to make so many changes that they should have enough new light to light up Las Vegas.
    And if they are not inspired, where does that new light come from?
    There are elements of truth as there is in all religions and they use that to get people to join. And the ones who they zero in on are ones who are searching for something and looking for acceptance.
    But many are leaving because they see it for what it really is.
    And those who leave are shunned by their own family members who stay in. Because if you are not in, you are totally out.
      July 14, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

And the worst part of all is that they are children of a lesser god---one that treats his children as a natural but non-custodial and absent father would treat his.
      July 16, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

Hello Hezekiah. From talking to you in the past, I feel that you have respect for God's word. I thought I would share part of an answer with you that I once gave on answerbag in regards to faith and works. Pretty sure that you consider James' writings as inspired, yes?
    (James 2:24) You see that a man is to be declared righteous by works and not by faith alone.

Which is Right?

The Bible says: "A man is declared righteous by faith apart from works of law." It also says: "A man is to be declared righteous by works, and not by faith alone." Which is right? Are we declared righteous by faith or by works?—Romans 3:28James 2:24.
    The harmonious answer from the Bible is that both are correct.
    For centuries the Law that God gave through Moses had required Jewish worshipers to make specific sacrifices and offerings, to observe festival days, and to conform to dietary and other requirements. Such "works of law," or simply "works," were no longer necessary after Jesus provided the ultimate sacrifice.—Romans 10:4.
    But the fact that these works performed under the Mosaic Law were replaced by Jesus' superlative sacrifice did not mean that we can ignore the Bible's instructions. It says: "How much more will the blood of the Christ . . . cleanse our consciences from [the older] dead works that we may render sacred service to the living God?"—Hebrews 9:14.
    How do we "render sacred service to the living God"? Among other things, the Bible tells us to combat the works of the flesh, to resist the world's immorality, and to avoid its snares. It says: "Fight the fine fight of the faith," put off "the sin that easily entangles us," and "run with endurance the race that is set before us, as we look intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus." And the Bible urges us not to 'get tired and give out in our souls.'—1 Timothy 6:12Hebrews 12:1-3Galatians 5:19-21.
    We do not earn salvation by doing these things, for no human could ever do enough to merit such an astounding blessing. We are not worthy of this magnificent gift, though, if we fail to demonstrate our love and obedience by doing the things that the Bible says God and Christ want us to do. Without works to demonstrate our faith, our claim to follow Jesus would fall far short, for the Bible clearly states: "Faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself."—James 2:17.

Eph 2:8-9 is one scripture where they get that you only have to have faith. Paul sometimes referred to the the Mosaic law as "the law", "works of law", or just simply "works". Verse 10 actually shows that we are still supposed to do good works in Christ.

(Ephesians 2:8-10) By this undeserved kindness, indeed, YOU have been saved through faith; and this not owing to YOU, it is God’s gift. 9 No, it is not owing to works, in order that no man should have ground for boasting. 10 For we are a product of his work and were created in union with Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared in advance for us to walk in them.

(Acts 13:39) and that from all the things from which YOU could not be declared guiltless by means of the law of Moses, everyone who believes is declared guiltless by means of this One.

(Galatians 2:16) knowing as we do that a man is declared righteous, not due to works of law, but only through faith toward Christ Jesus, even we have put our faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be declared righteous due to faith toward Christ, and not due to works of law, because due to works of law no flesh will be declared righteous.

(Romans 3:28) For we reckon that a man is declared righteous by faith apart from works of law.

(James 2:24) YOU see that a man is to be declared righteous by works, and not by faith alone.

Some might think that Eph 2:8,9 speaking about being saved by faith and not by works contradicts James 2:14-26 speaking about a man needing works along with his faith to be justified or saved. 2Tim 3:16 says All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. Since they are both part of "All scripture" they must complement each other somehow.
    It looks like the most referenced scripture is Eph 2:8,9. I believe that Paul here is talking about "works of law" as he mentioned to the Galations Chap 2:16: "yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. and which he showed was abolished by the blood of the Christ". (Eph 2:13-15;Col 2:14;Rom 7:6) Titus 2:14 Heb 10:24 both talk about fine works, so Paul also showed that there are actions (works) needed for Christians. James 2:24-26 shows that you have to have works along with faith, and not faith alone. Verse 19 and 20 shows that more is required than to just believe and have faith. If you read the 11th chapter of Hebrews, you might notice that after defining faith, that there is a list of faithful men and the actions or works they did by their faith.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Eph2:8-10;James2:14-26;Eph2:13-15;Col2:14;Rom7:6;&version=49;47;9;16;77; /. /. / -/ 
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Tit2:14;Heb10:24;James2:24-26;James2:19-20;2Tim3:16;&version=49;47;9;16;77;
    At Luke 6:46-49 Jesus gave the parable of "The wise and foolish builders" in response to people calling him Lord, Lord, but not doing what he says.(Also see Mat7:21-23) At Mathew 28:19,20 Jesus told us what works to do until the end of the age. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke6:46-49;%20mat7:21-23;Mat28:19-20;&version=49;47;9;16;77;
    James 1:22-25 & Romans 10:10 also show that actions are needed. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%201:22-25;Romans%2010:10;%20James%202:26&version=NASB;ESV;KJV;NKJV;HCSB

I find it interesting that so many preachers preach for money and do not consider that "works", but when others preach for free, they tell their flocks that those are trying to "work" their way into heaven and quote Ephesians 2:8-9. Some Churches even have classes telling them that.

James 2:14-26: 14 Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if a certain one says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? 15 If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, 16 yet a certain one of YOU says to them: “Go in peace, keep warm and well fed,” but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? 17 Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself.
    18 Nevertheless, a certain one will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.” 19 You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. 20 But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive? 21 Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected, 23 and the scripture was fulfilled which says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called “Jehovah’s friend.”
    24 YOU see that a man is to be declared righteous by works, and not by faith alone. 25 In the same manner was not also Ra′hab the harlot declared righteous by works, after she had received the messengers hospitably and sent them out by another way? 26 Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

Even alot of Christians that say all you got to do is have faith or just believe, think that they are suppossed to tell others the good news like Jesus said in Mt 28:19-20. Doing that among other things are what would be included in Eph 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works". And also why Jesus would have said at Luke 6:46 "Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" It is not works of the Mosaic law such as doing the "same sacrifices over and over", but doing the work that Jesus said to do. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Heb%2010:11,1;%20Heb%207:18,27;&version=45;47;31;49;51

(James 2:18) Nevertheless, a certain one will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.
    (Gal 2:16) knowing as we do that a man is declared righteous, not due to works of law, but only through faith toward Christ Jesus, even we have put our faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be declared righteous due to faith toward Christ, and not due to works of law, because due to works of law no flesh will be declared righteous
    (Eph 2:10) For we are a product of his work and were created in union with Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared in advance for us to walk in them
    (Gal 3:10) For all those who depend upon works of law are under a curse; for it is written: “Cursed is every one that does not continue in all the things written in the scroll of the Law in order to do them.
    (Galatians 2:14) But when I saw they were not walking straight according to the truth of the good news, I said to Ce′phas before them all: “If you, though you are a Jew, live as the nations do, and not as Jews do, how is it that you are compelling people of the nations to live according to Jewish practice?”
    (Colossians 1:10) in order to walk worthily of Jehovah to the end of fully pleasing [him] as YOU go on bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the accurate knowledge of God,

July 14, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

• texasescimo, yes I do consider James as inspired. I wasn't targeting Jehovah Witnesses but because the question revolved around them I went with that. My whole point was and is, what does the Scriptures say about the beliefs and practices of any given religion or belief system and do they line up with Scripture? If they don't then they need to be exposed as Jesus exposed the Pharisees. The thing is though, to expose a false or possibly false religion with Scripture is one thing but to try to expose it out of hate, with a vindictive spirit and with a vendetta in mind, is totally unbiblical.
      July 14, 2017 7:45 AM MDT

OIC. Thanks. The days prior to this question being asked, I was trolled from thread to thread by one person that gets upset any time anyone post scriptures, a person that used to be a JW, and a Catholic. Not sure if the poster saw some of those threads but hate was a perfect bond of union for the trio. Contrast:
    (Colossians 3:14) But besides all these things, clothe yourselves with love, for it is a perfect bond of union.
      July 14, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

• texasescimo, the question is "why" do some attack others? Do they have low self-esteem? Are they insecure? Are they run by fear? Are they out of control and feel the need to attack others in an attempt to regain control? Maybe they're jealous, lack self-love and self-worth. Perhaps they are driven by hatred. Who knows for sure what the reasons are. Maybe it's all of the above or maybe none of the above. Whatever the case may be it's extremely embarrassing for them when you them flaunt this type behavior.
      July 14, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

• Probably for the same reason I see non-liberals attacked on here all the time. Small minded / closed minded people tend to attack those who do not agree with their every word. 
      July 13, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

• Karen, at my age very little surprises me any more. But I have to say, the level of hatred, animosity, and vindictiveness that is associated with the attacks on conservatives surprises even me. Not only is it surprising, it's disturbing.
      July 14, 2017 8:01 AM MDT

PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES???

LOL

I am continually amazed at how an antiquated, entitled group with GOD ON THEIR SIDE can whine about how ill they are finally being treated after the nonsense they have heaped upon the downtrodden for decades has finally come home to roost in the form of their SACRED LEADER.

He is a symbol of all that is wrong with Conservatives.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 14, 2017 8:15 AM MDT
      July 14, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

• I'm not a steadfast conservist, and I don't attack others for what they believe, so no glass house for me.  I just get tired of all the incorrect  jibberish that's posted.  That,  and the very rude remarks if someone disagrees. 
      July 14, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

Well, first of all, let's get one thing perfectly clear.  This was not addressed to you.  I don't think of you this way.  I think you are conservative in many of your views, but I don't see you going all insane about it.  I also see a lot of insanoes on the left of the conservative label. 

I was addressing that comment specifically to the person I answered.  That person is so humorous I cannot help but comment back.   Oh they are SO PUT OUT by the diatribes from those evil liberals that make life so miserable for the sainted.

Not you. 
      July 14, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

• DOH!!  See what happens when I get on here with my phone and don't have my glasses? I apologize.  
      July 14, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

• Shar to the Rona, I am not a Conservative in the sense of Liberal versus Conservative rhetoric that permeates politics now. Rather I am a Constitutional Conservative. I am not into labels, but that is a rather descriptive term for my beliefs.  In general, whether it is economics, monetary policy, national defense, or just human behavior – I find that the wisdom contained within the design of the Constitution pales in comparison to anything I can conceive or hope to find elsewhere in history.

If someone is a Liberal by choice, good for them. I won't attack them for that choice like many Liberals attack the Conservative for their choice. I live in an apartment not a glass house. My life is not driven by hatred or revenge like many I've witnessed in AnswerMug. I respect the right people have have to make their own decisions and choices and I expect the same courtesy in return. Whether I get it or not is another matter.
      July 14, 2017 9:28 AM MDT

Honey, I don't know what you are.  All I have to base it on is the certainty that what you will make as a comment will just blow my mind.   Totally.  And I don't mean that in a complimentary fashion at ALL.
      July 14, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

• I made my comment. No need to carry it any further.
      July 14, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

Of course.  Your stand is amazing on politics.  That is all I am saying.  Nothing personal.  You are probably very nice and all.
      July 14, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

I like your example of a symbol of all that is wrong with conservatives. The symbol of liberals should be the same image showing them living in the basement (which belongs to their parents).
      July 15, 2017 6:17 AM MDT

• Same here.  Being a liberal used to mean loving and accepting everyone as they ate.  There are still quite s few that still believe that way,  but it's the other ones who are taking hate to a brand new level. 
      July 14, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

Being a liberal is being open to change for the better and not staying stuck in the same old same old just because it worked 100 years ago.

That is all being a liberal means.  It has nothing at all to do with being nice and sweet. 
      July 14, 2017 9:31 AM MDT