Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Dignified. Decorous. Dependably intelligent/logical/calm. What a prez should be. Shouldn't he/she? Why?

Dignified. Decorous. Dependably intelligent/logical/calm. What a prez should be. Shouldn't he/she? Why?

Posted - June 30, 2017

Responses

Someone with awareness of the needs of all and a strong moral core.

Someone with skill and knowledge of politics and a long record of political successes that prove his words when he spouts something as fact.

Someone whom we have not seen in ages.   And definitely NO one in this photo.  I'm reminded of the Bay of Pigs for some reason.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 1, 2017 2:51 AM MDT
      June 30, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

That's high aspirations, America has only had two of those in the White House in the last eighty years - Obama and Ike. 
    Eisenhower wouldn't have been accepted into today's Republican Party.
      June 30, 2017 7:55 PM MDT

The Donald does seem rather porcine now that you mention it. Thank you for your reply and the graphic Shar. A Rogues gallery indeed. :(
      July 1, 2017 2:52 AM MDT

i think he should be that way too
      June 30, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

It's okay for a Prez to be emorional, even angry. The guy is human, after all.

It's NOT okay for a President to act like a spoiled, petulant toddler and throw a tantrum every time somebody tells him "no". That kind of behaviour isn't pretty in three-year-olds and isn't to be borne in grandparents.
      June 30, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

I guess so Sbf although I must say I did like the fact that Obama never seemed to be out of control emotionally or intellectually. He spoke thoughtfully in measured terms. He used language that was appropriate to the office of president..which is to say he avoided gibberish/lies/insults/attacks/self-aggrandizement. I never worried about him doing/saying anything impulsively or thoughtlessly. What we have now is the worst of all possible worlds. The least qualified person to ever run for prez has enormous power and lacks honorable intention/integrity/self-control or the intelligence to use it wisely. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      July 1, 2017 2:51 AM MDT

This is not an endorsement of Trumps's behavior, but it seems like we have forgotten some of the past presidents' lack of dignity. For example LBJ:

Johnson lived to dominate, and he used crass behavior to bend people to his will. At 6-ft., 3-in. tall and 210 lbs., he liked to lean over people, spitting, swearing, belching, or laughing in their faces. Once, he even relieved himself on a Secret Serviceman who was shielding him from public view. When the man looked horrified, Johnson simply said, "That's all right, son. It's my prerogative." His favorite power ploy, however, seemed to be dragging people into the bathroom with him—forcing them to continue their conversations with the president as he used the toilet.
      July 1, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

People did not give the correct respect to LBJ.  He was NOT Trump.  Meaning, no matter what a dickwad he was (and he was) he knew his job.  He was highly intelligent and knew politics.
    TRUMP does not.

Don't even try it.  Trump is not fit to shine LBJ's shoes and I loathed LBJ. 

Now I would beg for him to rule over that mindless pig any day of any decade.

Really?  Are you KIDDING me, Jane?

There is no BIO that can compare Trump's ???? great moments????  to any President, no matter how bad they were in office.  All that pig does is make me repentant that I ever bad-mouthed any POTUS.   He makes me long for the days of Ronnie Reagan.  LBJ screwed up the VIET NAM WAR, but Trump is going to be famous for starting WORLD WAR III, I fear.

In domestic policy, Johnson designed the "Great Society" legislation by upholding civil rights, public broadcasting, Medicare, Medicaid, aid to education, the arts, urban and rural development, public services, and his "War on Poverty". Assisted in part by a growing economy, the War on Poverty helped millions of Americans rise above the poverty line during his administration.[1] Civil rights bills that he signed into law banned racial discrimination in public facilities, interstate commerce, the workplace, and housing; the Voting Rights Act prohibited certain requirements in southern states used to disenfranchise African Americans. With the passage of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, the country's immigration system was reformed, encouraging greater immigration from regions other than Europe. Johnson's presidency marked the peak of modern liberalism after the New Deal era.

In foreign policy, Johnson escalated American involvement in the Vietnam War. In 1964, Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which granted Johnson the power to use military force in Southeast Asia without having to ask for an official declaration of war. The number of American military personnel in Vietnam increased dramatically, from 16,000 advisors in non-combat roles in 1963 to 525,000 in 1967, many in combat roles. American casualties soared and the peace process bogged down. Growing unease with the war stimulated a large, angry antiwar movement based especially on university campuses.

Johnson faced further troubles when summer riots broke out in most major cities after 1965, and crime rates soared, as his opponents raised demands for "law and order" policies. While he began his presidency with widespread approval, support for Johnson declined as the public became upset with both the war and the growing violence at home. In 1968, the Democratic Party factionalized as antiwar elements denounced Johnson; he ended his bid for renomination after a disappointing finish in the New Hampshire primary. Nixon was elected to succeed him, as the New Deal coalition that had dominated presidential politics for 36 years collapsed. After he left office in January 1969, Johnson returned to his Texas ranch, where he died of a heart attack at age 64 on January 22, 1973.

Johnson is ranked favorably by many historians because of his domestic policies and the passage of many major laws that affected civil rights, gun control, wilderness preservation, and Social Security. He also drew substantial criticism for his handling of the Vietnam War. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 1, 2017 11:13 AM MDT
      July 1, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

I am well aware of what LBJ accomplished. I was responding ONLY to the question asked which was about presidential dignity.  So what do you think I am KIDDING about? I think we would be better served if the media would spend less time dissecting Trump's infantile tweets and more time focusing on what needs to be accomplished and how to do it.
      July 1, 2017 11:21 AM MDT