Active Now

Zack
Spunky
Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Family » How could someone be so heartless as to condone this act of pure evil?

How could someone be so heartless as to condone this act of pure evil?

https://www.nationalreview.com/article/449079/charlie-gard-united-kingdom-court-defies-parents-wishes-rare-disease-die

F
ACT: The judges who made this decision became a judge for the sole purpose of doing harm to families.  

Posted - July 1, 2017

Responses

not sure how
      July 1, 2017 5:23 PM MDT

I don't know if I'd call that evil. It seems like such a horrible situation for everyone involved.
      July 1, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

There you go with your evil rant.  This is not evil but it is horribly sad.  If the state is not being asked to fund the child's removal to the USA for experimental treatment, I don't see why they forbid the parents from doing so.  What I read was not persuasive. 
      July 1, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

The judges did not want to prolong the child's suffering, to go through a procedure with little chance of success. You may feel the decision was wrong, but I'm sure it was made with the best intentions.
      July 3, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

The child has been declared brain dead.  No matter what doctors do, at this point the brain cannot be restored, so what would be the purpose of keeping this child alive for the next 70 years by artificial means?  If I were the parents, I would be devastated, but I'd like to think I would be practical enough to realize that the child's suffering would surpass my parental desire to keep the child alive. 

July 3, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

If the parents can pay or a Dr has offered some sort of treatment then the parents should be able to try.
    And they should be allowed to bring the child home if they must remove the life support.
      July 3, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

The judges made that decision to limit the child's pain and suffering.  Are you saying that in spite of additional pain to this infant, you would want to keep it alive for as long as you could afford to do it?  If so, I'm happy you aren't my mother.
      July 4, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

To try the treatment that is available.  I would fight for my child, for every chance they had at life.
    The government should not tell the parents---loving parents how to proceed.
      July 4, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

Once the child is brain dead, which this child is, no amount of doctoring is going to regenerate the brain and without the brain there's nothing but being hooked up to machines for the rest of the child's life.  What is it about no brain function that you aren't understanding?
      July 4, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

The article does not say he is brain dead....
      July 4, 2017 12:14 PM MDT

It was on the news last night and it said the child was brain dead.
      July 4, 2017 1:21 PM MDT

According to reports, the child cannot move his arms or legs or breathe on his own.  Those are all functions controlled by the brain.  X
      July 4, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

"According to reports, the child cannot move his arms or legs or breathe on his own.  Those are all functions controlled by the brain.  X"

Pretty certain that all those characteristics apply to Steven Hawking now. Are you trying to say that he's brain dead too?
      July 6, 2017 11:43 PM MDT

Are you trying to compare what Steven Hawking suffers from with what this child does?
      July 7, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

No. I'm merely pointing out that you drew the conclusion that the child was "brain dead" based on his inability to move his arms or legs or to breathe on his own. (None of the stories that I've read on the poor little pup say that he's "brain dead" by the way, only that he has brain damage; BIG difference.) I pointed out that Mr. Hawking displays those same symptoms and is obviously not brain dead. That makes your personal criteria for determining "brain death" quite incorrect.
      July 7, 2017 6:46 AM MDT

My apologies - you are correct.  The child is only brain damaged.  however, unlike Steven Hawking, he cannot think and cannot speak and likely will never be able to do any of the things that require brain function.  So, as a practical (as opposed to medical) matter, the child is brain dead.
      July 7, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

He is under a year old of course he didn't speak. How do you know he doesn't think?
      July 8, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

Because his brain is damaged. 
      July 9, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

Have you never been around a brain damaged person? I have. And trust me they think. Maybe not the same as you or I but brain damage covers a lot of territory. 
      July 10, 2017 8:11 PM MDT

Do you think screaming at me with an extra large font gets your point across better?  Let me tell you that it DOES NOT! 

July 10, 2017 8:21 PM MDT

I apologise for the appearance of screaming. But I am on mobile and my font size changes on it's own. I never know until it posts what size it will be. Idk if it is a glitch here or something with my phone. Sometimes I even have to use the bold font just to make my keyboard come up. 
      July 10, 2017 8:43 PM MDT

Or, more accurately, Stephen Hawking is able to demonstrate a level of functionality. Charlie Gard cannot, so it is left to others to assess, by observation, how functional, in pain, or whatever, he may be. As expert as they may be, they could be wrong, but Great Ormond Street is one of the world's leading children's hospitals, and saves thousands of children, every year, so their decisions will be made in the best interests of the child, every time. In any case, the court is hearing further evidence today, so we can but await the outcome. This post was edited by HarryDemon at July 10, 2017 8:35 AM MDT
      July 10, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

Thank you.  Clearly, you explained it better than I did.  At some point, Steven Hawking was not in the condition he is in today, but his brain still functions and he is able to have coherent thoughts.  Poor little Charlie will most likely never be able to function mentally because of the damage to his brain. 
      July 10, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

It's all very sad. I'm sure we all agree on that.
      July 10, 2017 9:29 AM MDT