Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are anti-gun people right that the odds of someone you love or an innocent getting hurt by your weapon is greater than the chance

Are anti-gun people right that the odds of someone you love or an innocent getting hurt by your weapon is greater than the chance

you will ever use it in self-defense?

Posted - July 3, 2017

Responses

In my personal experience, I know more people who have used their gun for self defense (5) than have harmed a family member (0).

I do know a guy who shot at his wife....but he missed on purpose. If he had meant to shoot her it she would have been dead. 
      July 3, 2017 9:11 AM MDT

This is your pro-gun argument?  No wonder you voted Trump.  Sheesh.
      July 3, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

He was being an idiot. But he did not shoot her. 
      July 3, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

Oh, then it is okay for him to have a gun.   He was BEING an IDIOT and he needs to go to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.  How can you be so obtuse?   No one should be allowed to carry a weapon that can KILL people because at any time we are all subject to being idiots.  Please stop arguing a point that has no justification. Especially with this story as any example.

DO you realize that pointing a loaded gun in the direction of another human being is against the LAW?   If you are not defending yourself due to some life or death situation?  You cannot hit anyone.  You cannot throw a stone at anyone, lest you get cited for assault.    It is NOT okay to shoot at someone because after all, they didn't get HIT????

I mean if you are arguing PRO-Gun, why would you even PUT THIS IN THE ARGUMENT?  That automatically defeats your argument without my having to even say anything back to you. 

Your comeback is HE DIDN'T hit her so it is okay then?  Are you daft woman?   I suggest you look up how many people have been killed by stray bullets being fired randomly.   Kids have been killed in backyards blocks away from the shooter.  Do you KNOW that?  I guess people like yourself will deny and defend a point when there is NO point at all.  I'll bet if this happened to your own kid, you would still be arguing some non-existent point as to why it was okay to have guns. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 3, 2017 9:52 AM MDT
      July 3, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

I agree. I simply giving an honest answer of my experience with people who own guns. And how many have used them for self defense.

Personally if I had been his wife, he would have gone to jail and yes that would have caused him to loose his right to have a gun. And I would have seen to it.

But in keeping to the topic of the question---I know no one who has harmed their family with a gun.
      July 4, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

If you agree, then why would you put that in as part of an argument PRO gun?

Please just stop.  I can't listen to someone who keeps saying the same thing over and over and over and then says I agree I was just telling the truth. 

YES.  THAT IS THE TRUTH.  NO GUNS.  They are dangerous in the hands of most emotionally challenged retards.

And half the country fits this definition, not just that guy.  This is rampant.  Too bad YOU only know of one.
      July 4, 2017 9:12 AM MDT

I am pro 2nd amendment.
    The question was about the odds of using your gun for self defense vs harming someone in your family.  I was honest about the cases I know of....and self defense wins.
    So you would prefer I lied and left out the one story I did know.  I don't like to lie...even if it does not support my side.
      July 4, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

You know, talking just to have the last word does not make your argument sounder.

SO, have the last word.  You lost with the first answer. 
      July 4, 2017 9:27 AM MDT

I would not have a gun in my own house.  There is no reason.  I am never going to shoot anyone.  The odds of my ever having to are so remote, it is not worth it.

I doubt if anything bad would ever happen.  I know how to keep dangerous items locked up safely, but WHY?

I have lived here for 24 years and I have never had one reason to shoot anything except my brother.  And I may have done so if there was a weapon around.  And now I would be in some huge courtroom drama or worse because of it.

So, that is why guns can be very dangerous.  When the heat of emotion is so inflammed that one cannot think rationally, that is when the guns come out and that is when the brain shuts down in favor of some kind of mental relief.

Don't need one and never will need one. 

July 3, 2017 9:15 AM MDT

probably
      July 3, 2017 10:57 AM MDT

My "weapon" has been holstered for a few years now. No one is in danger except for WingedWonder.
      July 4, 2017 9:13 AM MDT