Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Isn't it funny how Millenials want to save every minority group but the "elderly"? Aren't @Millenials the most ageist people ever?

Isn't it funny how Millenials want to save every minority group but the "elderly"? Aren't @Millenials the most ageist people ever?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They only care about money and iPhones.

Posted - July 4, 2017

Responses

Hold on there.  They are protesting a certain kind of old person.   

Please explain to them that not all old people are like Whitey in the Whitey House. 

#oldisgold

July 4, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

• Is that Mr. Bean? 
      July 4, 2017 10:08 PM MDT

That's what I wondered immediately, too!
      July 5, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

• Maybe if you got rid of that landline and wall clock they would care about YOU TOO! 
      July 4, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

You've been bitter ever since you had to start hanging your toilet paper out to dry.  
      July 4, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

I am afrai you will just have to live with the fact that they do not live down to your expectations ;-))
      July 4, 2017 6:53 PM MDT

Old people are cheap. They always pay in cash, they want senior discounts, they keep every receipt, their favorite movies are in black and white, they move slowly, they're always cold, they shouldn't be driving, they don't understand why the new generation don't want to be living life like they did in the 1950's, and they smell like mothballs. 
      July 4, 2017 7:29 PM MDT

• Lol :) Mr. Bromide gonna yell at you!!!
      July 4, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

The elderly are not a minority and the millennials will end up funding the Boomers Social Security.
      July 4, 2017 9:45 PM MDT

Categorizing people by their age is ageist. Did 'Millenials' give themselves that name ?
      July 5, 2017 1:15 AM MDT

Yes.
      July 5, 2017 7:34 AM MDT

Nope bub, It was Neil Howe. And by the way he intended it as a positive label

"On the one hand I would say that obviously what a generation is does not necessarily have anything to do with its name," says Neil Howe, a historian who coined the term "millennial generation" in the 1991 book Generations, which he co-authored with the late William Strauss. "Sometimes these names are very random and contingent on the year."

Which is how Howe and Strauss invented the name millennials: "We thought that an upbeat name would be good because of the changing way they were being raised. They would be the first to graduate high school in the year 2000, so the name millennial instantly came to mind," Howe says."

July 5, 2017 10:56 PM MDT

I agree with Shar on this. I don't think it's so much "old people" in general, but "old people" who are generally awful. Young people see so many older people on this earth being nasty and bigoted and ignorant and lamenting the "good ol' days" which in many ways were not so good. I believe that millenials are excited about progress and changing the future and rolling with the times instead of remaining firmly planted in the past, and they get a lot of flack from these old people sometimes for it.
      July 5, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

sounds like it
      July 5, 2017 3:38 PM MDT