Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » It's a quarter of two a.m. and my roommate's in the hospital with kidney stones. Why do people get sick at NIGHT????

It's a quarter of two a.m. and my roommate's in the hospital with kidney stones. Why do people get sick at NIGHT????

Posted - July 5, 2017

Responses

I am sorry, but illnesses do not care about the feelings of friends or flatmates.
      July 5, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

not sure why but it just happens
      July 5, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

I'm sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope he's well soon.

When I worked in a dental office, the doctor and I spoke about this at length. The same thing happens with toothaches. His hypothesis was that when people were up and about, going about their days, they could naturally ignore basic discomfort. Their normal activities distracted them from listening to their bodies. But, when we sleep or relax, we have no choice but to hear our bodies. That nagging ache or discomfort becomes deafening. I don't know if he was right, but he had been to medical school and had a degree in psychology too. I tend to think he's right.
      July 5, 2017 2:38 PM MDT

I don't know, but I've experienced it.  Pain always seems worse during the night too.  Hope your roomy gets fast relief.  I hear that is no fun whatsoever. 
      July 5, 2017 4:03 PM MDT