Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Retail Work Place VENTING

Retail Work Place VENTING

I must vent about my work shift today here and GET IT OUT OF MY SYSTEM so that I can go to work tomorrow fresh and ready to handle the onslaught of customers. 

I'm just wondering when it became acceptable for shopping customers to WHISTLE at employees to get their attention... Today I was at work and had just hung up the phone after speaking with a client and booking her an appointment. I was bent down writing in the appointment book when I heard a whistle and a literal "YOO HOO" from behind me. Certain that it couldn't be for me, I straightened up and turned around and from ACROSS THE WAY - at least 30 feet - a disgruntled woman was standing there tapping her foot. She said, "Can I get a little help?!" in the most aggravating tone and trying to charm her into a good attitude I obliged and walked over. 

Then began the slew of questions. 

DO YOU HAVE THIS ITEM?
WHY ARE YOU OUT OF IT?
IT'S ON SALE ON THE WEBSITE?
IF YOU CAN MATCH THAT PRICE THEN WHY CAN'T YOU CHANGE THE PRICE OF THIS ITEM?
CAN YOU SWITCH OUT THIS ITEM IN THIS KIT FOR ANOTHER ITEM FROM ANOTHER KIT OF ANOTHER BRAND?
WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE SALES ONLINE?
DO YOU EVER HELP CUSTOMERS IN STORE WITH SALES?
WHY ARE YOU OUT OF IT?
DO YOU HAVE THIS ONE?
WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?
OR THIS?
I NEED THIS
AND THIS
I WANT IT EXACTLY THE SAME BUT DIFFERENT LIKE THIS

And so on and so forth. After 45 minutes of being berated for apparently being a bumbling idiot, she walked away, leaving garbage from her purse on the counter and a giant cup of ice - that she had been chewing on ever so politely - next to the cash register. I tossed it, naturally. BUT she came back 30 minutes later and asked for that very cup of ice. When I told her, "...I'm sorry, I assumed you didn't want it and I threw it out," SHE ROLLED HER EYES AND SCOFFED AT ME AND STORMED OFF. 

I feel better now. If I went on and on I'm afraid I'd never stop talking. 

Posted - July 5, 2017

Responses

Sometimes it is best to do a review of ourself.  You know, look within and see what mistakes YOU may be contributing to your bad day.

Best wishes.

July 5, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

Didn't mean it too seriously! You're right in that we play a part in our own bad days. Good thing for me it wasn't a bad day, just a frustrating moment. :)
      July 6, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

You sound sane, until you start with The President.   I hear you.   Work can make us crazy and old before our time.
      July 6, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

People like that often feel they have no power in life, so when they see a small crumb of power they grab it and shove it in your face.

Or she was rich and not a real human.
      July 6, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

I'm convinced she wasn't real, HA. 
      July 6, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

Petty tyrants.  

Nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 6, 2017 10:55 AM MDT
      July 6, 2017 9:51 AM MDT

WOW I feel for you........BUT you have to remember that in your job, you are dealing with what I like to call 'the great american public'.

yes, she was in the wrong, but she IS the customer & must be treated with respect, whether she deserves it or not.

you MUST learn to develop a 'thick skin' so to speak when dealing with people like that.

just do as they wish, be polite, then cuss them out in private.

you are the rep for that store......what you say/do would reflect poorly on the company.

so just suck it up and do your job, and SMILE SMILE SMILE........that usually annoys them when they think they aren't 'getting' to you!!!

October 3, 2017 8:16 AM MDT