Discussion » Questions » Language » Some use the word "hate" wantonly/promiscuously/thoughtlessly. "I hate broccoli"? How can you hate a food? What did it ever do to you?

Some use the word "hate" wantonly/promiscuously/thoughtlessly. "I hate broccoli"? How can you hate a food? What did it ever do to you?

When they say they "hate" they really mean they dislike. Don't they?

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

• In English many words have a meaning which is context based.  So one may hate broccoli and one may hate social injustice.  The word "hate" is the same, the meaning is different.  I'm remained of a time having said, "I  love pizza." my father, an exceedingly stupid man, replied, "You can't love pizza, you can only love another person."  Also "what has it done to you?" falls short.  One may hate social injustice without being a victim of it.  
      July 11, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply whistle. I disagree with thee completely. Your assessment of your father in this instance is harsh in my opinion. He may have been stupid but I understand his point. You may LOVE pizza but it cannot love back. You may HATE broccoli but it also has no feelings about you at all one way or the other. We are all victims of social injustice to one degree or another. With the obvious exception of the rich/powerful/unconscienceless movers and shakers with greedy/evil intent. The legislation alone they lay on us affects all of us. Unless you are one of them of course you are affected as well. Are you? If so you are protected but I doubt if you are one of them that you would "hate" social injustice since you would be one of the ones guilty of perpetrating it upon others.  Happy Wednesday.
      July 12, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

i think they mean they dont like eating it
      July 11, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

No, they mean hate. One of the definitions of hate is extreme dislike. 

Source:  Merriam-Webster Dictionary
      July 12, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

Hate seems so much worse. People who hate murder. People who dislike don't. That's how I perceive the words LO. I dislike. I have never hated. Haters scare me and I avoid them as I would avoid poison. Dislikers? I can relate to them. I dislike the color chartreuse. I dislike food that is too salty or too greasy or too icky sweet. I dislike those who are unkind/mean/cruel/liars. I don't hate any of them. So for me there is a definite distinction. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      July 16, 2017 4:33 AM MDT