Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Should Milo Yiannopoulos have been banned from Twitter?

Should Milo Yiannopoulos have been banned from Twitter?

#TwitterBan

Posted - July 20, 2016

Responses

• Absolutely. He violated their terms of service

July 20, 2016 8:13 PM MDT

July 20, 2016 8:32 PM MDT

• Milo is an asshole, but I don't see why he was banned over this specifically; it didn't seem like this was his doing.

As for banning people from Twitter in general, Twitter has a right to make its own rules about what content is and isn't allowed. And if you violate that, you can be banned. In before someone screams "but mah freeze peach!"

July 20, 2016 8:55 PM MDT

According to the New York Times, Mr. Yiannopoulos was instrumental in directing a torrent of hateful and racist Tweets directed at actress (in the new Ghostbusters movie) Leslie Jones.

While I do not know enough details about the incident to know if Twitter's reaction was justified, in principle I defend its actions. Twitter is no more compelled to allow such content on its platform than a book publisher is compelled to publish a book which consists of the sentence "F**k President Obama" repeated over and over again for 250 pages, just because the author cries "but...free speech!"

July 20, 2016 9:06 PM MDT

I think if Milo had been a normal user, with only a few followers, he would not have been permabanned. But due to the huge bandwagon of followers that piled on the actress, and the increasingly escalating level of crap directed at her, I think this affected Twitter's decision to take more drastic action. I'm sure Milo will say that he doesn't control his followers, and that he doesn't agree with the actions of the worst of them, which may well be true. So I'm a little on the fence about this one. Do celebrities with internet clout have additional responsibility when it comes to their online speech? Milo is no stranger to Twitter, he lives and breathes it, and he knows how it works, and he's seen plenty of Twitter shitstorms in the past. He's used his charisma and internet savvy to become a bit of a demagogue, and I'm sure he's aware of that. So all in all, I think this was the right decision by Twitter. This may open the door however, to similar actions in the future.

July 20, 2016 9:48 PM MDT

•   July 21, 2016 5:50 AM MDT

• That is true. People seem to "forget" that the internet (and most of the 'real world) is made up of their beloved corporations. Corporations can and do pretty much what they want. Those TOS are 500,000 words for a reason and usually have a catch-all phrase such as "can terminate an account when we see fit" similar to how movie theaters can ask you to leave "for any reason".

July 21, 2016 5:55 AM MDT

• Who?

July 21, 2016 6:07 AM MDT

• He's famous!!!

July 21, 2016 8:45 AM MDT