Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Rolex. Timex. What's the diff ( besides price) if they both tell you the time accurately?

Rolex. Timex. What's the diff ( besides price) if they both tell you the time accurately?

Posted - July 17, 2017

Responses

Same difference as a Jaguar and a Volkswagen. They both get you there, on time.
      July 17, 2017 5:00 AM MDT

Nah.

I'll put a LOT more faith in the German-owned VW than in the Indian-owned Junk-uar.  (And I don't have much faith in anything from Germany to begin with, even though VW also has Bentley and Bugatti in their stable of vehicles.)
      July 17, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

So it's style then? Personally I think Rolex watches are not attractive at all. I have a beautiful museum-piece watch by Movado that is drop-dead gorgeous in my opinion. I bought it for $500 at an outlet store 20 years ago (value at the time I think was $1000). I don't know if you are familiar with them but I have never seen a more beautiful watch at any price. The Rolex watches I've seen are all steel and remind me of girders and manufacturing plants. The status symbol of owning one is there but where is the style/beauty?  Some are  diamondy but I am not a fan of diamonds.  As for cars I have a poster of a Lamborghini Countache AND a book my son gave me years ago all about Lambos. What do you think of the lines of the 1969 Jaguar XKE? Oh. I've owned Volksies too and loved them! Thank you for your reply anti b! :)
      July 24, 2017 6:36 AM MDT

This was the best one I found.   I agree with you Rosie, they are not very stylish.  This one is the best one  I saw.

July 24, 2017 6:46 AM MDT

• I would hope there are many more differences than just the price. If you need to ask, I suppose you should keep your Timex. 

The car analogy by "antibiotic" is right on point.

July 17, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

I don't own a Timex T-F. I own a Movado museum-piece watch. I don't know if you are familiar with them but they are very beautiful. I'm also partial to Lamborghinis for style and beauty of line.  I don't own one because my budget doesn't allow for it but I do own a book full of Lambos and I have a dry-mounted poster of a Countache. The 1969 Jaguar XKE is still a favorite stylewise. I have owned and LOVED Volksies as well. Thank you for your reply and the graphics. I am not drawn to either car. :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 24, 2017 6:43 AM MDT
      July 24, 2017 6:39 AM MDT

not much
      July 17, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

A thief is a lot less likely to cut your arm off to steal a Timex watch. And you're a lot less likely to cry over losing a Timex watch.
      July 17, 2017 4:57 PM MDT