Discussion » Questions » Communication » Seems to me people don't ask "WHY?" often enough...some maybe never. Do they not care enough to learn? What other reason is there?

Seems to me people don't ask "WHY?" often enough...some maybe never. Do they not care enough to learn? What other reason is there?

Posted - July 19, 2017

Responses

July 19, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

Thats what my late husband used to say when I asked him if he wanted to talk. ;+
      July 19, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

Perhaps they care but realise asking why would be futile...
      July 19, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

You can't win if you don't play. You won't know if you don't try. What you say may be true Durdle but we can't know until we do ask. There is always the chance that someone out there will have an answer to your "why" that makes sense to you. Or an opinion that is relevant and new to you. Something you hadn't considered but to which you can relate. What would it hurt to try? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 20, 2017 3:40 AM MDT

That's very true Rosie, but following the apparent tone of the OP and of several other replies,  I was thinking of situations where the questioner wants an explanation of something or someone working against him or her, rather than in constructive situations of learning or endeavour.
      July 20, 2017 4:42 AM MDT

Oh. Yes. Now I understand your point. In that case it would undoubtedly be a waste of time. Thank you for your additional comment Durdle and Happy Friday! :)
      July 21, 2017 2:04 AM MDT

1.   They don't care.
    2.   The other person probably not be able to answer.
    3.    They will say NOYB
    4.   When I am asked why, i usually respond with: "Because I can...this is America".
      July 19, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

You won't know if others can't answer unless you ask Ele. If you are asked personal questions that are none of the Asker's business like "how much money do you make" or "how much do you weigh" or "how old are you" a better answer would be "why would you ask me that question" rather than "it's none of your business".  Some folks are very open. If someone asks my age I tell them. But usually I offer it up so they don't even have to ask.  And answering "because I can" is not responsive if someone asks "how are you doing?" or "do you need help with anything?" or "Is something bothering you? Maybe I can help". I guess it depends on whether you want people to interact with you or you'd rather they bug off and leave you alone. Different strokes. If I ask a Donald Trump question I get some helpful answers and some smart alecky ones. That's fine with me because that's how I weed out smark alecks and then ignore them futurely. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      July 20, 2017 3:46 AM MDT

I like your tactics, Rosie!
      July 20, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

It's very kind of you to tell me that Durdle. I appreciate it a lot! :)
      July 21, 2017 2:06 AM MDT

maybe they dont want to know why
      July 19, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

Good point. Some people don't want explanations, for whatever reason of their own. 
      July 20, 2017 3:34 PM MDT