Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you correct false information when you see it on Facebook?

Do you correct false information when you see it on Facebook?

For example, I saw a group of people discussing a news story that had been posted by a friend of a friend, and several of my friends were discussing it as if it was factual. I went to Snopes and got a link to show them they were dumb, and then thought better of it and closed the page. Do you guys ignore that stuff or correct it? (Outside of here. I know ya'll would be linking like crazy here. lol)

Posted - July 24, 2017

Responses

I do it all the time on Facebook.  I don't use Snopes though; I have found them to be about as biased as some of the news outlets.  Truth or Fiction, Politifact, or Fact Check seem better options to me.  I am surprised at some of the people I know who fall for the memes masquerading as news.  I've tried to educate people about even clicking the like button on Facebook.  Facebook keeps every one of those and has built profiles about each user and come to conclusions about beliefs, political persuasion, shopping habits, etc. etc.  And people still ask me why I will not post pictures of myself on Facebook!  I have stopped going over there very much other than to play a game or two.  I no longer scroll through the news feed to which Facebook actually has started contributing.  Seriously, if you have never gone Advertising in settings and looked at what Facebook has decided you "like" you (meaning everyone) should.  I think you might be surprised. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 25, 2017 6:55 PM MDT
      July 24, 2017 11:46 PM MDT

Woah. I didn't even realize the ad section existed. Overall, though, I think Facebook nailed me. I'm not really active on it, so the things it showed me were things I probably had expressed an interest in at some point. I wish I could see something like that with Google. That would be a bizarre collection of "interests." 
      July 25, 2017 3:51 PM MDT

Facebook? I have heard of that.
      July 25, 2017 7:34 AM MDT

i havent seen false info on there
      July 25, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

July 25, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

Oh, sure.  I also correct the grammar on Twitter.

NO.  I don't even go on there.
      July 25, 2017 4:28 PM MDT