Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If you are one of those folks who says people have to EARN your respect, how did Donald John Trump EARN yours?

If you are one of those folks who says people have to EARN your respect, how did Donald John Trump EARN yours?

Posted - July 29, 2017

Responses

I respect Trump; i.e., I know precisely what he is  {respect---re (back) + specio (see)} with the precision of a 20-20 hindsight.

But that is precisely why I neither admire nor esteem him. This post was edited by tom jackson at July 30, 2017 3:01 AM MDT
      July 29, 2017 10:05 AM MDT

I just looked up the word m'dear. How it is generally used is the 3rd definition which is "Esteem for or the sense of the worth or excellence of a person..." but that is not how you perceive the word. Definition 16. is the one you have shared here. I knew nothing about it but now I do so thank you. If you tell folks you "respect" Trump that is what they will think you mean....definition 3.  Another valuable chat for me tom. That's why I keep coming back. I love to learn things I didn't know. :)
      July 30, 2017 3:12 AM MDT

• Mostly by looking up the allegations you post all the time and finding just about all of them either lies or half truths. I didn't really care for him before, congratulations, you made me kinda like him a little bit. 
      July 29, 2017 10:05 AM MDT

HA HA HA...IKR?!  
      July 29, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

• Yep. I only used like him when he was on Celebrity Apprentices. 
      July 29, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

I never watched that.  
      July 29, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

• I wouldn't miss it. A lot of them were B list and used to be's...but it was nice. It raised a LOT of money for different charities. Holly Robinson Pete was on there once, she played for Autism Speaks because she has a son with autism. I have a nephew with severe autism, and was very happy when she won a good sized amount for them. Bret Michael played for the Diabetes Foundation, I have that and was really happy when he won as well.  
      July 29, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

That's cool, I did not know that.  
      July 29, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

• They raised hundreds of thousands of dollars. Each week they had a project to complete, the captain of the winning team, there were always two teams, got a lot of money for the charity they were playing for.  It was a great show and I'm going to miss it. One of my favorite moments was when meat Loaf and Gary Busey got into a huge argument. I was laughing myself silly. 
      July 29, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

Hitler loved his dogs and his mistress and apparently treated them very well.  Would you stack that up against his "Final solution" for his Jewish problem? This post was edited by tom jackson at July 30, 2017 3:13 AM MDT
      July 29, 2017 10:40 AM MDT

• That has nothing to do with either the question or my answer. 
      July 29, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

July 29, 2017 10:52 AM MDT

• :) 
      July 29, 2017 5:23 PM MDT

Well, yes it does actually.  You have Trump in The Apprentice providing good results and now you have Trump as president acting as he did in the apprentice---encouraging competition among his White House staff and making arbitrary decisions simply because he is in charge.   Hitler did things with good results.  Trump also does things with good results.  And the balance sheet on both shows that both are morally bankrupt.
      July 29, 2017 11:40 AM MDT

I might give him props if he resigned and checked himself into a psychiatric facility. Other than that, I don't foresee any of my respect heading his way.  
      July 29, 2017 10:59 AM MDT

The idea of his EVER doing something like that is inconceivable. The guy won't ever apologize for anything. The guy doesn't EVER accept responsibility/blame for anything. The guy always takes all the credit that rightfully belongs to others and claims it as his and his alone. I have to process what you wrote Lyric. Resign and check himself into a nut farm? THAT IS BIGLY! Thank you your reply. I think he is on borrowed time. :)
      July 30, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

MOOT.

July 29, 2017 11:43 AM MDT

he hasnt yet
      July 29, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

• While I have respect for the office, I haven't respected an American president in thirty years. And yes, respect is earned and what's more it is a two way street, not a dead end. As I recall last November, there was a choice given between someone who hurled epithets at voters and someone who didn't care one way or the other for voters.  It's simple: Show me you have no respect and you get none in return.
      July 29, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

• To be frank, I don't always show proper respect towards people, which is wrong, because proper respect must be given whether we agree with someone or not. I know that I should be a person of order and discipline, of integrity and justice but more often than I care to admit too, cynicism rears it's ugly head and I spout off. Although I may not respect or agree with "what" they believe, I try to respect them as a person and to respect their right to believe what they do. As I mentioned earlier, that doesn't always happen but I'm working on it. Yes I respect President Trump but I don't always agree with everything he says. 
      July 30, 2017 11:40 AM MDT