Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Are there any symbols on road signs that you saw and had to look up or ask someone what they meant?

Are there any symbols on road signs that you saw and had to look up or ask someone what they meant?

I went to Germany for my honeymoon.  All of their symbols on road signs were easy to understand except WC.  I had to ask about that one.  I'm not sure why the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals didn't just use a pictogram of a toilet for that sign.

Posted - July 29, 2017

Responses

I'd imagine people in Europe are used to the expression "water closet." Does the Vienna Convention set a world standard for road signs and signals?
      July 29, 2017 4:02 PM MDT

Phoenix is dumb. There are certain streets in which the middle lane, normally a turn lane, becomes an extra driving lane during rush hour. The signs make enough sense, I guess. I just think it's confusing that there are times you can't use the lane at all, times you can use it, but only if your travelling a certain direction, and times it's a turn lane. I can't keep track of it at all and I usually wind up in the lane when I'm not supposed to be or I avoid those roads altogether for fear of having a head-on collision with someone else who doesn't get it. Even if I did drive in the city enough to become accustomed to it, it's such a bizarre practice that there are enough people who don't understand it and pose a risk. This post was edited by Just Asking at July 29, 2017 8:15 PM MDT
      July 29, 2017 4:06 PM MDT

confusing
      July 29, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• "A flashing green light" ...  on a traffic signal means the signal is pedestrian activated.

I've only seen one and I can't remember what US state it was in. I had no idea what it meant!

July 29, 2017 4:11 PM MDT

weird 
      July 29, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

Some British main road junctions bear yellow signs with black squares or triangles. Often wondered what they mean or how you use them - I think they are meant to suggest alternative routes if the main one is closed or congested, but I am not sure how. Perhaps they are explained in the Highway Code I ought read again now and then! 

Also small green signs carrying only three letters: "RVP" - but I think they refer to certain emergency-services functions, and are not for the ordinary motorist.

I was for a time puzzled by a green "traffic light" I noticed only after dark, wondering what road it was on, until one day I drove past in daylight and realised it was a signal on the nearby railway! I think it had been installed not long before I first saw it.

July 29, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

You made me curious so thanks to Google I was able to figure it out.  Yes!  They are alternative route signs!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3489375/this-is-what-those-yellow-triangles-and-squares-mean-on-road-signs-and-its-nothing-to-do-with-nuclear-war/
      July 29, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

Thank you Livvie!

Generally, British road-signs are pretty clear, but direction and lane markings on roads can be very confusing, especially for visitors to the area. And being painted on the road, they are soon hidden by the vehicles in front anyway. 
      July 29, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

Yeah, this "snakes following your car" sign never made sense to me. 
      July 29, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

Yes, the old Falling Cow Sign. ;P
      July 29, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

Nope.  I ignore all the signs along with traffic signals.  Here is a video of me showing off my amazing driving skills.

July 29, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

no cause i dont drive
      July 30, 2017 4:34 PM MDT