Active Now

Echooos
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Updates needed.

Updates needed.

There's no user report or block feature, so it's not like users have the option to weed out trolls. You have the option of making your privacy settings set to where only your added friends can view your posts, but it's a useless feature when you only have like 2 or 3 friends or you are a newcomer and have none and you want to keep your posts open to the public to get a topic going, but there is that one troll that incessantly berates you on your posts. 

Pleeeeeeeeeease make a block button.

please workaholics begging beg

Posted - July 22, 2016

Responses

There's "report an issue" in the bottom of each page.
      July 22, 2016 12:42 AM MDT

• Here, here! I strongly agree!

I'm having no personal difficulties myself,

but I know of at least one person who is,

and a block feature would help many people a great deal.

Without it, we could end up like EP

and that would be an unpleasant disappointment.

July 22, 2016 12:50 AM MDT

• Ha! I never noticed that. Thank you! :)

If I need it, I'll know. :)

July 22, 2016 12:52 AM MDT

I'm not sure the block feature necessarily will help. It actually was some of the reasons behind the troubles at EP. Imo. It made people create multiple accounts to harass the other, and maliciously flag them to have them suspended or banned from the site.
      July 22, 2016 12:55 AM MDT

#keyboardheroespffft
      July 22, 2016 1:08 AM MDT

Stop whining

Ignore troll

Simple

Learn to compartmentalize and stop reacting back.  You are not mad at the troll.  You are mad at yourself for reacting.  So, take your power back.  Every time you ignore him now, you are going to feel great and much stronger for it.  Thank the troll for teaching you a valuable tool you now have that he will never even consider. 

You are welcome.

July 22, 2016 1:33 AM MDT

I have addressed this before and we have even had sitewide discussions about it, but I don't think you were here for that.

answerMug is an open public forum to exchange ideas where we can hopefully help eachother grow or gain knowledge. For this reason, I don't think a blocking button is in line with our site values. If someone is here, then they have a right to be heard, not cut off on discussions because they have a different opinion, religion, sexual orientation, or whatever. Moreover, blocks don't work. Even the most active blockers admit this. The people that they try to block just come back with new accounts or the people log off and still read what is being said and then start a new discussion about it somewhere else and then cut off the original blocker. It seems to create an even more hostile environment because everyone's trying to get around the blocks. 

I think I have previously likened blocking to shutting off all the lights in your house to hide the mess... yes, your house will look cleaner with all the lights off, but the mess is still there. Eventually, it's going to start smelling, growing mold, attracting bugs, etc. So, if someone is violating the TOS, we need to deal with the root of the problem, not just shut off the lights and pretend the problem isn't there. 

I won't discipline someone for replying to questions, but if they're making remarks about you or your character, those kinds of things are against the TOS and should be reported. You also have various privacy settings to keep undesirables at bay. You can "ignore" in chat, which blocks them from instant messaging you. You can make photos, blogs, and your profile visible to only your friends. We also have it set that only your friends (and me) can message you... though other mods will be able to message you soon as well. 

Please email me directly on the site if someone is violating the TOS. You can also use the "report an issue" button at the bottom of the page, but those get buried in my inbox with all the other notifications I get, so I respond slower to those. 

July 22, 2016 1:38 AM MDT

Please send me an email with more info on the person who is having trouble. 

July 22, 2016 1:42 AM MDT

• I'm sorry if you're having an issue with a person but the comment below regarding ignoring them I feel is the best advice ... They don't get off on their own words but on your reaction to them .. There's a reason they say don't feed the trolls .. I don't know if this will help you or not but I hope so ;)
      July 22, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

:-)
      July 22, 2016 1:46 AM MDT

*like*
      July 22, 2016 1:47 AM MDT

I have said this before .. but the owner of this site seems to not want it for some reason.. Of course if you do not give people the option of blocking nasty people then you will soon start losing all the reasonable people and end up with a small bunch of nasty trolls savaging each other and anyone who is unfortunate enough to stumble in this website..  But the owner of this site  does not seem to understand this simple truth.. Sooo this site slowly but surely is getting more and more quiet.  Looking at your little picture of a pleading woman it looks like you are near to leaving this site as well..

July 22, 2016 7:13 AM MDT

I sent a report but nothing was done.. I was not surprised really.. But i had to test the water to make sure i was right... And i was..

July 22, 2016 7:15 AM MDT

It could be there was no case. I know I had a reply the few times I did make use of a reporting, also when mods were disapproving my view on thoughts. I can only say it's been way better responses than what I was presented by EP mods the last year ot was running.
      July 22, 2016 7:18 AM MDT

Smh.
      July 22, 2016 7:19 AM MDT

July 22, 2016 7:51 AM MDT

Message JA directly. 

When I first joined this site I also wondered why there was no block feature.   Now, after being on here for a few months there is no need for it.  I ignore, ignore, ignore. If there is a problem JA is the one I contact. 

People who like to harass you will tire hen they are ignored. 

July 22, 2016 7:58 AM MDT

If someone is attacking you, copy the link(s)  and send it to either JustAsking or myself.

Also at the bottom of the screen there is  "Report an Issue"

July 22, 2016 8:07 AM MDT

One of the ugliest sites I know has a block feature.  And it only makes wars between others much worse because the more aggressive types will put up hate polls and the other that may be more of the peaceful by nature will not respond.  It doesn't stop the mobbing though.  You couldn't pay me to go on a site like that.  And no, the owner and the moderators actually encourage that discord for site traffic.

When I first came here, I was afraid of not being able to block.  But if you report any true harassment, it is dealt with pretty swiftly.   

July 22, 2016 8:49 AM MDT

Not all tire out as you and I both know.  Those are the ones that do need to be reported, links to the problem included.

I am very pleased that this site does NOT thrive on bullying of others.

July 22, 2016 8:51 AM MDT

July 22, 2016 8:52 AM MDT

It's far better than any site I was on that actually had a block feature.  Blocking makes for a lot of passive aggressive type fighting.

July 22, 2016 8:56 AM MDT

I have to agree, even having dealt with my own frustrations at times.
      July 22, 2016 9:12 AM MDT

If JA were not on the ball like she is, we would need a blocking feature.

But she is very good at taking care of problems as they come up.

July 22, 2016 9:18 AM MDT