Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Peter Thiel, Silicon Valley billionaire, said at the Trump convention "I'm proud to be gay. I'm proud to be a Reputlican. I'm proud to be an American". What is wrong with him?

Peter Thiel, Silicon Valley billionaire, said at the Trump convention "I'm proud to be gay. I'm proud to be a Reputlican. I'm proud to be an American". What is wrong with him?

The 2016 Republican platform is ANTI-LGBT as follows

Wants to overturn the SCOTUS 2015 decision to legalize gay  marriage

Wants to make it LEGAL to discriminate against LGBT people

Wants to discourage gay couples from adopting

Wants to make "conversion therapy" legal for minors

How can any gay support/defend the above? Does Peter Thiel even KNOW what he is supporting/defending/celebrating?

Posted - July 22, 2016

Responses

Do you really really want to know the answer to this Rosie ???

July 22, 2016 7:03 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

During the holocaust, there were Jews helping the Nazis MURDER other Jews..  I have no idea why people join forces with their enemy, but they do.. 

excon

July 22, 2016 7:14 AM MDT

He's just so proud...haha
      July 22, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

I can't process that info my friend. I just can't.  I expect the same is true of my people. I expect there were some Armenians who collaborated with the Turks to murder my people too. But I don't understand how that can be. Thank you for your reply excon and Happy Friday to thee! :)

July 22, 2016 9:21 AM MDT

Why do you think I asked it Adam?

July 22, 2016 9:21 AM MDT

It just makes no sense to me Baba. Proud of what exactly? Being a shill for a party that is anti-him? Seriously? I don't get it! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)

July 22, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

Please watch the following video then..

July 22, 2016 8:29 PM MDT

Because Peter Thiel is rich enough and lives in a progressive enough period that anti-LGBT legislation is unlikely to seriously impact his life. And he is selfish enough (as most Five-Time Losers...er, Objectivists/Libertarians are) to not give a f**k what the GOP Hate Teh Gayz contingent does to anyone else, so long as they keep his personal taxes low.

July 22, 2016 9:18 PM MDT

@AAPAD -- So, you're saying Peter Thiel is an arrogant hateful bigoted a**hole like Milo Yiannopoulous?

OK, thanks for making that clear...;-D...

July 22, 2016 9:22 PM MDT

I think he is Michelle Bachmann's Husband's lover.  I bet.  Let's spread it around for fun.  They don't mind. It's the Republicans. They lie about everything. 

He probably isn't even gay.  He probably is lying.   He may not even BE gay.  But I KNOW Michelle's husband is.

Michael T is a rich elitist prostitute/sell-out. What else could he be called if this is his stance, PRO-TRUMP?    What can he care about anyone else?   He is not affected in the least. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      July 22, 2016 9:28 PM MDT

• lol I love Milo <3

July 22, 2016 9:34 PM MDT

ex, it is called traitor/cowards. 

July 22, 2016 9:36 PM MDT

And speaking of arrogant hateful bigoted sphincters, Milo's cheering section showed up....;-D...

July 22, 2016 9:37 PM MDT

@Al - I don't deny he's entertaining to the arrogant hateful sphincter crowd.

As for making sense, well, that's just your Dunning-Kruger impedimenttalking....;-D...

July 22, 2016 10:43 PM MDT

I see. No OS I don't see. It still makes absolutely no sense to me. How anyone can be  proud of being part of a group that is anti-him and everyone like him just does not compute.  It never will no matter how hard I try to comprehend it. Obviously I lack something intellectually  that Peter Thiel and his ilk have. Mahalo for your reply and Happy Saturday!  :)

July 23, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

I just don't have the right stuff Sharonna. I am intellectually limited apparently. I will never understand how anyone can proudly assert his devotion to and pride in being part of a group that is Anti-him and those like him. Assuming he is telling the truth which I admit is a rather large assumption considering the source. Thank you for your reply and the graphic and Happy Saturday!  :)

July 23, 2016 1:51 AM MDT

As long as he is a billionaire, it dont much matter what else he is: gay/straight/corkscrew

I guess Trump have told him that he will listen to the Log Cabin Republicans

July 23, 2016 2:33 AM MDT

Corkscrew? I love it JakobA. That is very funny m'dear. Thank you for your reply and  Happy Saturday. The good part is what you said is very funny.  That bad part is  it's very true. Not your fault.  :(

July 23, 2016 3:23 AM MDT

Imagine that: a person who thinks differently than YOU believe he should. The audacity!
    :|
      July 23, 2016 11:20 AM MDT

Al, what would you have helped the Nazis with, English grammar, or proofreading and editing?

:|
      July 23, 2016 11:24 AM MDT

Because Thiel will almost never be PERSONALLY affected by GOP bigotry. He lives in California, where discrimination against LGBT people is the lowest in the nation. He's rich, so he can buy his way out of any issue that's likely to come up. He's smart enough to know that while the GOP will wail and gnash teeth about Guns, God, Gays, and Abortion, they mostly don't do anything about it. Gun laws have changed minimally, separation of Church and State is the rule not the exception, gay marriage is legal and most state anti-gay laws will eventually get struck down, and Roe v. Wade remains the law of the land.

Hence, Thiel's rejection of the GOP because of its anti-gay contingent would be an almost entirely symbolic gesture. Meanwhile, Thiel is in favor of the low taxation/low regulation policies of the GOP.

What real motivation (other than solidarity with LGBT people who, unlike Thiel, are not rich, influential, and immune from most bigotry) does Thiel have to repudiate the GOP?

July 23, 2016 12:23 PM MDT

July 23, 2016 12:34 PM MDT

What he and Trump share is their disdain for the press. They don't like anyone minding their business. They sue anybody that does. Trump wants to change the First Amendment on the freedom of speech.
      July 23, 2016 1:57 PM MDT