Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Except for 8 years of my life I've lived in southern California. Almost all my great experiences/memories are here. How can I ever leave?

Except for 8 years of my life I've lived in southern California. Almost all my great experiences/memories are here. How can I ever leave?

Except for my first 3 years in Michigan where I was born and 5 years living in Massachusetts where my son was born I'm a California Girl/Woman/Old Lady. I can visit places I used to live. I  can go to the same beach where I went with my kid. Visit the schools I attended. I can  re-experience in real time things I remember having done decades ago. So I move to a different state. Don't I leave some of my memories behind? I can't take them all with me since the places in which they were made will be out of touch out of sight the rest of my life. Are you a happily transplanted adult? How did you deal with leaving things/places behind? No problem or do you have regrets? I can't even imagine living in a different state but the day may come when  I have to do so. How do you prepare for it?

Posted - August 3, 2017

Responses

I won't lie to you Rosie. It's not easy. I transplanted to one state after spending my entire life in another. I can't say there really is anything that emotionally prepares you for the move and the experience has been bittersweet. What I can say is that I've gotten many rewards from living in my adopted state, including a newfound respect for my inner strength and adaptability. And while it did take some time to adapt, today I can honestly say I'm glad I made the move. As for your memories? While it may be true that some are left behind, they're surprisingly portable and most survive the trip. Plus there are new ones to be made. I wish you the very best.   :-)
      August 3, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

Thank you Lyric. This is a very sweet and kind reply. I appreciate it a lot. Of course we're still mourning the loss of our cat Tigger. 10 years of his life was lived here in this house. All his favorite spots are here and his essence is here. Beyond that there are so many physical locations in southern California that hold very good memories. I never had a problem moving from place to place before. But I'm older now and I guess the tendency to hold on to what was good gets stronger. Happy Friday my friend! :) ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at August 4, 2017 4:59 AM MDT
      August 4, 2017 4:21 AM MDT

i would just stay there if you like it so much
      August 3, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

I'm from Wisconsin and moved to Arizona at the start of junior high. It hasn't ever really felt like home, but "progress" changes everything anyway. My elementary school in WI closed down. My junior high in AZ is gone now as well. Most of my WI family has passed away. Aside from my kids, there's nothing really grounding me where I am. I would love to move, but I'll probably spend the rest of my life here because this is where my roots grew. I'd love to be in a state like Cali, particularly on the coast, or maybe Oregon or Washington. The mountains of Colorado are gorgeous too. I could see me calling any of those places home, but I can't take my kids and I wouldn't leave them behind- even as adults, so here I'll stay. 
      August 3, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

One word.
    U-HAUL
      August 4, 2017 4:24 AM MDT

Hi JA. My son lived in Denver for two years and taught at the University of Denver. Colorado is no doubt a gorgeous state. California is too of course. That's why more people live here than anywhere else in the United States. Jim's son David and his wife lived in Oregon before they moved to Arizona and we took a trip up to visit them. Oregon is also breathtakingly beautiful. I think every state has its own special charm and best features and gorgeous vistas. What they don't have is pieces of memories/experiences from long ago. Of course I was only 3 when we moved from Highland Park, Michigan to California so I really have no strong memories there. I remember wearing a bathing suit in the summer in a downpour. The rain was warm. I also remember making snow angels in the winter dressed in my snowsuit. But that's about all I remember. I had no problem moving to Massachusetts where my son was born. We lived there for 5 years and I loved it there. I didn't like the black ice in winter or the spraying for bugs in the summer or salting the roads so the ice would melt because that caused cars to rust but it was a beautiful state with so many historical places to visit. We lived near Walden Pond and we'd just go and sit on the beach there sometimes and look at the reflection of all the trees surrounding the pond in water. Around every corner, especially in autumn, you'd see breathtaking sights. We left and moved back to California and I had no problem with that either. Now? I'm old and stuck in my ways and just can't get excited about leaving here. I was always excited about starting a new job or living in a new city or new apartment or new home. Now it doesn't excite me at all. Maybe it's just a funky depression because we recently lost our treasured pet. I hope I snap out of it. It isn't fun being me right now.  Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply and Happy Friday! :) ((hugs))
      August 4, 2017 4:45 AM MDT

I was born and raised here in Ca. and have never lived anywhere else. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
      August 4, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

I hope and pray that you never have to and if you do it is because you found someplace even better that you want to see as well.

"California, preaching on the burning shore
    California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
    Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
    Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

My time coming, any day, don't worry about me, no
    It's gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so
    Seems so long I felt this way and time sure passin' slow
    Still I know I lead the way, they tell me where I go."   Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir  -  Grateful Dead

Play "Estimated Prophet"
    on Amazon Music

highlight lyrics to add meaning...

My time coming, anyday, don't worry about me, no
    Been so long I felt this way, I'm in no hurry, no
    Rainbows and down that highway where ocean breezes blow
    My time coming, voices saying they tell me where to go.

Don't worry about me, nah nah nah, don't worry about me, no
    And I'm in no hurry, nah nah nah, I know where to go.

California, preaching on the burning shore

Still I know I lead the way, they tell me where I go.

Don't worry about me, no no no, don't worry about me, no
    And I'm in no hurry, no no no, I know where to go.

California, a prophet on the burning shore

You've all been asleep, you would not believe me
    Them voices tellin' me, you will soon receive me
    Standin' on the beach, the sea will part before me
    Fire wheel burning in the air!

You will follow me and we will ride to glory, way up, the middle of
    The air!

And I'll call down thunder and speak the same and my work fills the
    Sky with flame
    And might and glory gonna be my name and men gonna light my way.

Don't worry about me, no no no, don't worry about me, no
    And I'm in no hurry, no no no, don't worry about me, no.

Song Discussions is protected by U.S. Patent 9401941. Other patents pending.

Play "Estimated Prophet"
    on Amazon Music

Read more: Grateful Dead - Estimated Prophet Lyrics | MetroLyrics

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 4, 2017 9:30 AM MDT
      August 4, 2017 9:24 AM MDT