Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What love song makes you cry?

What love song makes you cry?

This love song reminds me of when my husband was in a coma in 2000. He lived, until last Halloween.

Posted - August 5, 2017

Responses

Final offer.

August 6, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

Its not for me, its for my grandsons pet Frog. Really. 
      August 6, 2017 12:30 AM MDT

August 6, 2017 12:39 AM MDT

I didnt know you wore a wig. ;+
      August 6, 2017 12:44 AM MDT

Just a merkin.  
      August 6, 2017 2:49 AM MDT

This one isn't really a love song either. The story behind it, which I learned after forming my own meanings, is that the writer started drafting it while his wife was pregnant with his first child- it was intended to close the shows, but their baby was born early and couldn't leave the hospital for a year. The release date happened to be on the exact dame day he brought his baby home, and he realized that it was a perfect story of his baby's first year.

Anyway, I had heard "Closing Time" a million times and loved it before it became a sad song for me. But, there was one day within a few days of my grandfather's death when it sunk in. All the details of it were just coming out. He went in his sleep, but the kicker was that he left his harmonica out. My grandpa was always tidy- he never left anything out, and the only times I remember him playing his harmonica was when my siblings and I were little. He'd pull it out to play and my grandma would come from where ever she was and stand in the doorway and watch. She passed away several years before him and I never once saw him with the harmonica after that. So, to learn that he played his harmonica on the night he passed, it felt like he was calling her to him. He was calling her to take him home. There were other things- he knew he was going to pass. He tipped us off in conversations. The night he died, he pulled out all the letters and photos I had sent him, as well as letters and photos from others. I don't know how to explain it, other than he was ready to go and he played her one last song.

The day I was mulling all this over, the Semisonic song came on the radio and it was so impactful that I just collapsed speechless. It fit the situation perfectly. Now, every time I hear it, I think of their enduring love.
      August 6, 2017 12:13 AM MDT

Your story made me cry. How lovely. My husband played the harmonica too. He passed the day after his birthday and he too seemed to know it. He had a look in his eyes, a calm that seemed to say, everything is ok, dont be scared for me, im going home. Your grandfather pulled out those items knowing his time was near. How special is that. Thank you for sharing your special story with me Just Asking, it means alot to me. :)
      August 6, 2017 12:26 AM MDT

Sending you big hugs. I'm sure your hubby is still watching you and yours with love, proud of the legacy you built together. 
      August 6, 2017 12:37 AM MDT

Aw thank you Just Asking. Your kind words are very comforting to me. I will cary them with me forever. Really. They mean alot. ;)
      August 6, 2017 12:40 AM MDT

August 6, 2017 2:58 AM MDT